Concerto 0.4.0-alpha

(1 review)

2 Screenshots

About This File

This is an old video (hopefully I'll be able to make a new one soon):

The CONCERTO synthesizer is what I intend to be the sound generating side of a music making software for the Commander X16. It uses the 16 voices of the VERA and the 8 voices of the YM2151 and aims to get the very maximum out of them. It is not quite there yet but has a lot of strengths already. The main features:

• 32 synth timbres (i.e. sounds)
  • 16 monophonic channels, each playing a dynamically assigned synth timbre
  • up to 4 PSG oscillators and 1 YM2151 voice per timbre
  • up to 3 envelopes and 1 LFO per timbre
  • pitch, volume and pulse width modulation
  • vibrato
  • volume control per voice ("velocity")
  • pitchbend
  • save and load presets / banks (a bank is the entirety of all 32 loaded timbres)
  • comes with one bank of "factory" sounds

Features that are planned (for the sound engine):

• volume and vibrato automation

If you have problems with the audio quality in the "Try it now", download and run in the offline emulator with the command line option "-abufs 12" or more.

To use file loading and saving, you must use an SD card.

For more information, look into the README and the source files and/or send me a PM.
If you find bugs, please let me know, or post an issue on GitHub.

https://github.com/biermanncarl/cx16-concerto

Find the devlog here: https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1079-concerto-dev-log/ 

Find m00dawgd's Command Tracker which will likely use Concerto: https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?/topic/978-command-tracker-dev-log/

What's New in Version 0.4.0-alpha   See changelog

Released

As promised, today I'll present a BIG update to Concerto. The most notable changes are:

* Concerto is now licensed under the BSD-2-clause: You can use it in your own open AND closed source projects!
* The YM2151 is now integrated into Concerto. Freely combine VERA-PSG and YM2151 to create your sounds! You can even modulate the pitch of the YM2151!
* Reduced number of PSG oscillators per timbre from 6 down to 4 for lighter memory usage.
* Load/Save *named* single timbres and banks (i.e. the entirety of all 32 timbres that can be loaded at the same time). Filename editing made possible using code from the awesome VTUI library made by @JimmyDansbo.
* Factory sounds included (load bank "FACTORY" from SD card).
* Internal optimizations, the sound slightly changed compared to previous versions.
* Cleaned up UI from unused stuff

Disclaimer: I have NOT added support for the YM2151's internal LFO. For the time being, Concerto's own LFO can at least do vibrato, even though it doesn't sound as nice as with the native LFO (I guess), but let's keep things simple for now.

The last things I want to add before going v1.0 are automation of volume and vibrato (similar to the already implemented pitchbend).

try_it

Yes

try_it_start_prg

CONCERTO.PRG

try_it_license

BSD 2-clause
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback