LED - A Line-Oriented Text Editor 1.0.0

(2 reviews)
Sign in to follow this  

About This File

Story time.

I was reading @gavinhaslehurst's post about implementing floating point numbers based on an article in COMPUTE! magazine.  So, I headed over to archive.org and looked up that  issue  and read the article.  Then I flipped through the rest of the issue.  On page 16, there was this program, LED - A Line-Oriented Text Editor, written by Arnie Lee of Abacus Software, in BASIC, for the Commodore PET (also mentioned is an APPLE II version, but I didn't see that listing in there).

So, I typed it in and ran it under VICE.  Works on the PET, works on the C-64, works on the C-128.... works on the X-16!

The only changes from the original is to comment out the 2 POKEs to disable/enable RUN/STOP and changed the line-endings from CHR$(255) to CHR$(10) so  the files would have regular UNIX-style newlines ending the lines.

Is it useful?  Debatable.

Is it retro?  For sure.

https://archive.org/details/1981-02-compute-magazine/page/n17/mode/2up
COMPUTE! Magazine
February 1981
Issue 9
Vol. 3, No. 2
Page 16.

try_it

Yes

try_it_start_prg

LED.PRG
  • Like 3

User Feedback

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

gavinhaslehurst

Very cool!  Definitely retro. There's a whole rich seam of retro goodness to be tapped from those old magazines. 

Share this review

Link to review
TomXP411

· Edited by TomXP411

It's got some minor bugs (I could not figure out how to use the "Change string" command), but it shows what you can do in pure BASIC. It might also be nice to change the LF line endings to CR, since that's what Commodore/Commander actually uses. (Perhaps a switch for this, or an easily edited config variable on line 10?

Either way, I plan on downloading this and playing with it... I've been considering my own super-simple editor, as well.

Response from the author:

The full instructions for using it are in the linked article, but for string changes, after you've selected the line(s) you want to edit, you just enclose what you're looking for and what you want to replace it with with a character that's NOT in the string you want to replace.

So, you have the text:

FOR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO

You would could use /FOR/FOUR/

or +FOR+FOUR+

The line endings are handled in the loading & saving routines, so you would change lines 4270, 4470, 4700, and 4890, change the CHR$(10) to CHR$(13).

LED-C.png

Share this review

Link to review

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use