Petaxian 0.5

(7 reviews)

4 Screenshots

About This File

I had been lurking on the forums for a few months when I found Prog8 and though this looked interesting. I.e. I could learn a new language and test out the emulator.

I recently saw some good demos using C64 emulator but just based on PETSCII graphics and I though this looked surprisingly cool. Then I remembered the old Galaga game on the C64, the one using just (a few) petscii chars. I thought making something similar would be a nice challenge.

The game is continuing to move toward what I consider a complete (but short) game. There are now 12 levels at which point the game will end in victory (bonus points for lives remaning). I am currently inclined to thinking that it's ok to end up with a fairly short and "completable" game. I still need to add some sort of simple high score handling. And there are always places that could use a bit of extra polishing but perhaps it would be better to spend that effort on another game.

What's New in Version 0.5   See changelog

Released

Only a small set of changes done the last weeks :

• Changed game over to defeat/victory with score "calculation" (bonus points for any lives at end of game)
  • Some enemies have a chance to drop seeker bombs (slower bombs that move toward player)
  • Made credits more like other info pages

try_it

Yes

try_it_start_prg

petaxian.prg
  • Like 9

User Feedback

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

desertfish

· Edited by desertfish

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Amazing job, I really appreciate the complexity of your game so far: programming these movement patterns and petscii graphics routines using prog8

I love galaga and this could be a very fun game to play if it is fleshed out a little bit more, and adding some sound effects to it to top it all off   🚀

Hence 4 out of 5 stars, still a bit room for growth

edit: updated to 5/5 stars because the recent versions improved many things and sound effects have also been present for a while now!!

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
svenvandevelde

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I played it yesterday. Déja-vu Galaga :). It was fun playing. 

Very nicely done!

Some tips:

- try to make more aliens. 

- more bullets to be active simultaneously. 

- aliens to fire more. 

- more levels, I could play the 12 levels without issues. 

- try maybe to bring in more colours. 

- maybe larger bullet types?

Sven

Share this review

Link to review
CursorKeys

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

4 out of 5, since if it had sound and if it was a complete game it would get a 5/5 from me for sure. 

It is looking promising. And it also plays nice.  Nice PETSCII look and feel, and responsive.   I love Galaxian and Centipede type of games, so I will keep an eye on this one.

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
Cyber

I always like to see accurate use pf PETSCII.

This one looks relatively simple, yet very accurate and charming!

Share this review

Link to review
Travis Bryant moore

Great game that reminds me of the old galaga. It was fun and addictive.

Share this review

Link to review
totodilespy

Great job making petscii look so good! To me it almost looked like a low-res bitmap.
A pause feature would be great but otherwise a very fun to play game.

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
gavinhaslehurst

I really love this! Great graphical style to it and silky smooth! 

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use