Petaxian 0.5

(8 reviews)

4 Screenshots

About This File

I had been lurking on the forums for a few months when I found Prog8 and though this looked interesting. I.e. I could learn a new language and test out the emulator.

I recently saw some good demos using C64 emulator but just based on PETSCII graphics and I though this looked surprisingly cool. Then I remembered the old Galaga game on the C64, the one using just (a few) petscii chars. I thought making something similar would be a nice challenge.

The game is continuing to move toward what I consider a complete (but short) game. There are now 12 levels at which point the game will end in victory (bonus points for lives remaning). I am currently inclined to thinking that it's ok to end up with a fairly short and "completable" game. I still need to add some sort of simple high score handling. And there are always places that could use a bit of extra polishing but perhaps it would be better to spend that effort on another game.

If anyone want to have a look at the code, it's here : https://github.com/cyborgar/Petaxian

Edited by borgar
Added link to source code

What's New in Version 0.5   See changelog

Released

Only a small set of changes done the last weeks :

• Changed game over to defeat/victory with score "calculation" (bonus points for any lives at end of game)
  • Some enemies have a chance to drop seeker bombs (slower bombs that move toward player)
  • Made credits more like other info pages

try_it

Yes

try_it_start_prg

petaxian.prg

try_it_license

GPL-3.0
  • Like 12

User Feedback

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

desertfish

· Edited by desertfish

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Amazing job, I really appreciate the complexity of your game so far: programming these movement patterns and petscii graphics routines using prog8

I love galaga and this could be a very fun game to play if it is fleshed out a little bit more, and adding some sound effects to it to top it all off   🚀

Hence 4 out of 5 stars, still a bit room for growth

edit: updated to 5/5 stars because the recent versions improved many things and sound effects have also been present for a while now!!

• Like 2
Link to review
svenvandevelde

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I played it yesterday. Déja-vu Galaga :). It was fun playing. 

Very nicely done!

Some tips:

- try to make more aliens. 

- more bullets to be active simultaneously. 

- aliens to fire more. 

- more levels, I could play the 12 levels without issues. 

- try maybe to bring in more colours. 

- maybe larger bullet types?

Sven

• Like 1
Link to review
CursorKeys

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

4 out of 5, since if it had sound and if it was a complete game it would get a 5/5 from me for sure. 

It is looking promising. And it also plays nice.  Nice PETSCII look and feel, and responsive.   I love Galaxian and Centipede type of games, so I will keep an eye on this one.

• Like 1
Link to review
john_e79

Reminds me more of Gyruss on the Atari 2600 than Galaxian, which is a good game btw.

• Like 1
Link to review
Cyber

I always like to see accurate use pf PETSCII.

This one looks relatively simple, yet very accurate and charming!

• Like 1
Link to review

Great job making petscii look so good! To me it almost looked like a low-res bitmap.
A pause feature would be great but otherwise a very fun to play game.

• Like 1
Link to review

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use