STNICCC Commander X16 Demo Remake 1.0.0

(6 reviews)
Sign in to follow this  

7 Screenshots

About This File

This is the release of a STNICCC Demo Remake for the Commander X16!

I have been (silently) working on this for the last couple of weeks/months. It is time to release it :). Let's just say: the Commander X16 is far more powerful than I had thought! 😉

Here is a video of it running:

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jeffrey

---

PS. There was an earlier attempt to remake this demo on the X16 (done by Oziphanto on youtube). Oziphanto did a very nice comparison video of the X16 with several other machines of the 8-bit and 16-era:

He also re-created this demo, but (in my opinion) did not do such a good job extracting everything out of the X16: his demo ran in 2:32. The remake I made does it in 1:39! 🙂 🙂 

His benchmark comparison should therefore be updated:

lap_times.png

Keep in mind the Commander X16 only has:
    - An 8-bit 6502 cpu (8MHz)
    - No DMA
    - No Blitter

Yet it keeps up with 16-bit machines like the Amiga! (actually its even faster right now)

---

Extra notes:

- This only works on the x16 emulator with 2MB of RAM
- It uses the original data (but its split into 8kb blocks, so it can fit into banked ram)
- Waaaayyy to much time is spend on the core-loop to make it perform *this* fast!
- My estimate is that it can be improved by another 10-15 seconds (I have a design ready, but it requires a re-write of the core-loop)
- It uses a "stream" of audio-file data and produces 24Khz mono sound (this will not work on the real x16, since loading the files that fast is a feature of the emulator only)

Here is a version without audio (so this should run on a real x16):

And it runs even faster (1:36:90) 😉 

try_it

No

try_it_start_prg

STNICCC.PRG
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

DrTypo

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Incredible!

The Atari scene is coming to the X16!

I understand that running it on real hardware not possible due to the streaming data. Still, this is quite a feat.

Response from the author:

Here is a video of it running without audio (just like Oziphanto did):

This should be able to run on a real X16 btw 😉

And it runs even faster.

Share this review

Link to review
Getafix

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Great work! This was recently done for the Apple IIgs which was the first I saw of it and have since watched the other versions.  Yours is a truly excellent implementation.

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
CursorKeys

Really nice.  🙂

My favorite demo on the X16 right now!

I have a silly question.
You mentioned:
   - It uses the original data (but its split into 8kb blocks, so it can fit into banked ram)

I am wondering, did you consider pushing the whole data in Vera Ram, there is 2 MB of it, and you could "stream" from there with the Vera pointer being auto updated after each read.   And what was the reason to not go for that?

I have considered using VRAM, but its "only" 128 kb so that doesn't really help. It might help to get this demo to work on a 512kb machine (since we need 640kb of ram, we need to put the other 128kb somewhere else).

Loading the polygon data takes very little time btw. It's almost irrelevant from a performance perspective. For (uncompressed) audio it's different: thats much more data.

The "proper way" to do this kind of music data is to implement a mod-player. I might do that some time, but it was out of my scope for this demo. So I "cheated" a little with the audio. 😉

Share this review

Link to review
desertfish

Watched Ozyphanto's original version some time ago and was already amazed by that. This is one step beyond even !   Beating an Amiga , who would have thought

Doesn't matter that it's only simulating the 3d effect --- it's the end result that counts, and drawing 2d lines / polygons animated this fast, is a feat in itself

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
Yazwho

Very cool!

• Like 1

Share this review

Link to review
Unstinkable

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I have a question. What music plays?

Also when I downloaded it an ran it, It crashed on my windows laptop.

The music is from Kefrens : Desert Dreams. Its originally from an Amiga demo, and also used for the original ST demo.

Not sure why it crashed for you. The emulator shouldn't do that.

Share this review

Link to review

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use