New productivity upload: File based assembler

desertfish

On 12/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, ZeroByte said:

I noticed that about cc65 - the programs generally won't run a second time, and that definitely should not be the case. Any idea what cc65's binaries are doing to bork things up? In the grand scheme on a system like this, it's not such a big deal for games to have this behavior, as typically there was no "quit to basic" option in the game - you just flipped the power switch to get back to BASIC when you were done. But for applications that work on a file, it's definitely broken for a program to exit and then not be runnable a second time.

To be able to run a C program a second time without re-loading it, global variables have to be re-initialized. This requires additional startup code and basically duplication of the data section, i.e. you "waste" RAM (depending on the amount of initialized global variables). For example vbcc offers two configurations. One that does not allow to be re-run (and does not return to BASIC) and another one that fully allows re-running the code. cc65 seems to return to BASIC without re-initializing variables by default.

@Stefan a small suggestion , instead of requiring CTRL-C to show the line/column number, please show these continually in the top bar or perhaps in the bottom area (like the Vim editor does).

Also, maybe, a way to set the screen and text colors beforehand by the calling application?

Edited by desertfish

On 12/11/2021 at 1:31 PM, desertfish said:

@Stefan a small suggestion , instead of requiring CTRL-C to show the line/column number, please show these continually in the top bar or perhaps in the bottom area (like the Vim editor does).

Also, maybe, a way to set the screen and text colors beforehand by the calling application?

Thanks!

Actually I've been working on a new entry point called "Load File With Options".

You may use this entry point to load a text file on start up. If the file name length is 0, it will not try to load a file, so it can be used whether or not you want to load a file.

It will let you set the following options before starting X16 Edit:

• Auto indent on/off
  • Word wrap on/off
  • Tab width
  • Word wrap position
  • Current device #
  • Screen text color/background color
  • Header text color/background color
  • Status bar text color/background color

That code is already in the master branch on Github, but I need to test it a bit more before publishing as a new version.

I will see what I can do to display row/column all the time. That I haven't looked into.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, desertfish said:

oh, and one other thing, the CTRL-K cuts a line and adds it to the clipboard. But eventually it will give an error clipboard full, which is problematic if I just wanted to delete a (large) number of lines. Can we get a kill line key or alternatively some way to clear the clipboard? ❤️

Absolutely!

Just need to come up with a reasonable keyboard shortcuts, as they are running out.

It is not a great solution to start using Alt+key combinations (as Nano does), as those are already linked to graphical characters in PETSCII mode.

One possibility would be to link Ctrl+K to the cut command, and Ctrl+Shift+K to a new delete line command.

In a similar way Ctrl+C could be linked to the show cursor position command, and Ctrl+Shift+C could be used for a new command to continuously show the cursor position.

Have to think about it though.

EDIT: Always showing cursor position is now done and committed to master branch. I removed the Ctrl+C command altogether. Will continue with delete line command, probably another day.

Edited by Stefan

• 5 months later...