calcmandan

GUI designer

Question

I"m in the process of learning assembly and have an application in mind. Id like to design the GUI of the application and would like input on the good tool to use to play around in design. I'm looking at text mode at first and graphical mode later on.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

I'm working a graphical UI designer for cross-development, but it is very much early days yet.  The designer is at best 50% complete, able to add, move, and delete some basic widgets, but not really resize, there is no menu or image support yet, and code for loading the saved design does not exist.

The state of the assembly code for drawing and interacting with widgets is no better.  Most widgets can be drawn (in some cases, only their borders), but interaction via mouse and keyboard is largely absent yet.  Assembly code seems a requirement - I took a first stab at the drawing code using C code compiled with CC65 and the executable came out about ten times larger than the equivalent hand-coded assembly assembled by CA65.  CC65's optimization switch only cut about 10% off the size of the executable.  And now I know how to write macros and use structs with 6502 assembly and the CA65 assembler.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, CreativityTheEmotion said:

PetDraw by David was written for the express purpose of designing UIs of text mode-based applications.

Source code is here: https://github.com/commanderx16/x16-demo/tree/master/petdrawx16

Turns out, my problem was in the compilation and luckily the compiler was in the ubuntu repos. I've been designing my UI since yesterday and have been too eager about it that I forgot to thank you.