New demo uploaded: Chonky Text in 6502 Assembly

Chonky Text in 6502 Assembly

View File

A little demo of rendering giant text in assembly. It takes the data from the Lower/Upper character set in ROM and renders it in a large, "LCD-style" font. You can use .asciiz in CC65 for letters, or use a zero-terminated array of bytes to reference the character codes, as below (thanks to https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?/profile/5-jimmydansbo/ for the character set reference). 

charset.png

• Like 1

I think it would be great for pinball, but I tried using a different color and it hanged:

image.png.046b5c3cd85e3cd24ea619f78544b9c6.png

It runs fine as long as you keep the default colors.

P.S. - this is inconsistent. It hangs at different times, or sometimes not at all. So, maybe not related to the color.

Edited by SlithyMatt
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SlithyMatt said:

I think it would be great for pinball, but I tried using a different color and it hanged:

image.png.046b5c3cd85e3cd24ea619f78544b9c6.png

It runs fine as long as you keep the default colors.

P.S. - this is inconsistent. It hangs at different times, or sometimes not at all. So, maybe not related to the color.

I noticed this Matt. I think there's a problem with my code somewhere. I'll take a look at some point.  If you spot it, let me know!  (You are an assembly legend) 

• Haha 1

Just now, gavinhaslehurst said:

I noticed this Matt. I think there's a problem with my code somewhere. I'll take a look at some point.  If you spot it, let me know!  (You are an assembly legend) 

Ps I suspect it'll work better if I write direct to vera instead of using CHROUT. And it'll be faster... just need to rewatch your tutorial 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SlithyMatt said:

Do you have a GitHub? It would make it easier for folks to review, use, contribute, etc.

This did not occur to me!  I'll look into this.  It's been a long time since I've really done any proper coding. This lock down fascination got out of hand! 

Edited by gavinhaslehurst