Your "Retro Gaming" Hardware or Emulators?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ZeroByte said:

So it looks like you're using the 8bitdo controllers. Which ones in particular, and what is your opinion of the feel/responsiveness of the controllers? I'm looking to get a couple of them, and am torn between which ones I want along with which adapter dongles - I know they make native SNES -> bluetooth adapters that pair with certain models, and then there are (S)NES-mini wireless adapters that pair with some models, and there are models that pair natively with the Switch, etc.

I got an SN30 Pro USB (SN Edition), loved it, and got another one. Wired, because I just prefer it over wireless, and I am never so far my display I need wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R481CVY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The SN Edition is currently out of stock, but the Gray Edition is in. They are identical, save for the cosmetics.

I bought them specifically for the feel and comfort, they feel great and I can play for hours without issue, just like the old SNES controllers. Responsiveness does not seem to be an issue either, that is to say, I have not noticed it in any games, at all. Not even Tetris at level 12+. 😄

Overall, I love the 8Bitdo controllers, as well as Hyperkin and Retrobit. They all seem to make good ones.

Edited by Strider
Gray or Grey....The eternal struggle... lol

I bought one (well, actually two) of those NES Classic knock-offs from Wish out of sheer morbid curiosity. Turns out to not be quite as horrible as I had feared (which was really bad), as captured in my latest video: 

• Like 1

I'm really torn on what to shell out the bucks for, as I have several goals and am not sure how many of them can be achieved in one set of controllers/wireless adapters.

Primary systems to interact with: (descending order of importance)

• SNES classic (via this adapter)
  • Commander X16 (via the SNES adapter)
  • Linux PC
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Nintendo Switch (playing NES/SNES games on the switch online service)

I generally don't play modern games on PC, and if I do, I usually prefer WASD+Mouse over a controller. Anything that WOULD use a controller would be retro titles like Wolf3d, Commander Keen, etc - games that I originally played using a Gravis Gamepad. The bluetooth SN-30 Pro controller would fit all of these niches, with the one exception being that they're not original SNES form factor.

Then there's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Classic-nintendo_super_NES-super-nintendo/dp/B074HBNNH6?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It would basically require a dongle for each type of thing I'd hook it up to but the primary system (SNES classic) would work with this right out of the box. I'm just not 100% certain that the SNES adapter dongle would be compatible with this second model controller, as it's 2.4GHz and the dongle says it's bluetooth...

10 hours ago, SlithyMatt said:

I bought one (well, actually two) of those NES Classic knock-offs from Wish out of sheer morbid curiosity. Turns out to not be quite as horrible as I had feared (which was really bad), as captured in my latest video:

Excellent video! I have considered buying so many of those knock-offs but never really bit the bullet and tried any. I got rid of all my "plug & play" units in favor of using Raspberry Pi for it's versatility and customization, as much as I liked them, I don't want to go back to the P&P devices. Even if I do think they are cool. lol

10 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

I'm really torn on what to shell out the bucks for, as I have several goals and am not sure how many of them can be achieved in one set of controllers/wireless adapters.

Primary systems to interact with: (descending order of importance)

• SNES classic (via this adapter)
  • Commander X16 (via the SNES adapter)
  • Linux PC
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Nintendo Switch (playing NES/SNES games on the switch online service)

I generally don't play modern games on PC, and if I do, I usually prefer WASD+Mouse over a controller. Anything that WOULD use a controller would be retro titles like Wolf3d, Commander Keen, etc - games that I originally played using a Gravis Gamepad. The bluetooth SN-30 Pro controller would fit all of these niches, with the one exception being that they're not original SNES form factor.

Then there's this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Classic-nintendo_super_NES-super-nintendo/dp/B074HBNNH6?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It would basically require a dongle for each type of thing I'd hook it up to but the primary system (SNES classic) would work with this right out of the box. I'm just not 100% certain that the SNES adapter dongle would be compatible with this second model controller, as it's 2.4GHz and the dongle says it's bluetooth...

That was my issue, finding something that met all my wants for my emulation. I wanted an SNES style controller, but I also wanted analog controls for PS1 and some arcade emulation, and I wanted 4 shoulder buttons, and wired. That's what lead me to the SN30 Pro's features. It ticked all my boxes and once I got it in my hands, I could not have been happier. I have all my desired consoles covered in terms of button coverage.

That being said, I do have a Hyperkin joystick for Atari, a Mayflash F101 arcade stick for some arcade games that are best played on micro-switches, and I just ordered a Retro-Bit Sega Genesis controller.... just becasue. I want to pair them with the MegaPi case. What's nice about those is they are officially licensed by Sega.

For me, controls were almost more important than the emulation. I am used to emulation, but I wanted comfortable controls as close to authentic as possible.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, I finally rounded out my 8/16-bit era controller collection by ordering the Genesis and TG-16 ones I wanted. I will let you know how they work after they arrive. It was my birthday the other day and decided to pick them up. 😆

I'm not expecting any problems, they are from Retro-Bit and Hori, and every controller I have gotten from either of those two has been spot on.

Genesis: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P37ZGTF/

(Has L+R shoulder buttons, so it will work just as well as the SN30-Pro in most games. Though the SN30-Pro have 2x L+R buttons, so handy for PS1. No analog, but that's fine, I rarely use it outside of PS1 games.)

717XapdUhVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.2c6226dd2e361b0768f8977ab3302185.jpg

TG-16: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1Q2G8T/

(Has PROPER turbo selectors like the original TG-16/PCE, and it's the right size, unlike many others out there.)

71iKnKCdWlL._SL1500_.jpg.56ddb4e670426e1c8d7f80ce211a052a.jpg

Edited by Strider

They have arrived!

Love these things. They both feel great. Buttons are responsive. Properly detected by RetroPie. Played with both for several hours and both are good quality.

I really like have a proper PCE/TG controller I can use for emulation! It's not as heavy as the original TG controller, but it does not feel cheap. Feels good playing all the scrolling shooter bullet-hell games. Hori makes good controllers in my opinion.

Now... I am DONE with controllers....I hope. lol

pce-cont-2.thumb.jpg.1d7527dab8017d239fd79a23f7aa29b7.jpg

sega-pce.jpg.2051e97a64e447032ba399f07902faeb.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I like that Mario Bros. clone. It reminds me of what I had posted in a different thread. Nintendo themselves did this with our version of Super Mario Bros. 2. The Japanese Mario sequel was deemed too difficult for the international market, so they took a game called Doki Doki Panic, and modified it to be the version of Super Mario Bros. 2 we know today. It's an interesting story.

From Wikipedia:

The western release of Super Mario Bros. 2 was based on Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic, a Family Computer Disk System game meant to tie-in with Fuji Television's media technology expo, called Yume Kōjō (lit. Dream Factory). The characters, enemies, and themes of the game were meant to reflect the mascots and theme of the festival.[2] After Nintendo of America found the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (later released internationally as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels) to be too difficult and similar to its predecessor, Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic was modified to become Super Mario Bros. 2 for release outside of Japan.[3]:2

A commercial success, the international Super Mario Bros. 2 was re-released in Japan for the Famicom as Super Mario USA[a] (1992),[2] as part of the Super Mario All-Stars (1993) collection for the Super NES (including the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 as The Lost Levels), and as Super Mario Advance (2001) for the Game Boy Advance.

I do love how they add so many clones and ROM hacks just to get the count up. I mean, you know they are not paying licensing fees to sell the legit ROM's they are using, so why not just use all original games. I guess 620 in 1 looks better than 100 in 1. Still, there are hundreds of good NES games without the need for hacks and clones. lol

All in all it seems like there is a good mix of legit ROM's in that NES clone for the price. Funny to see games like TMNT and others in a different language, even though they were also released in English. Being an import, it's fully understandable though. 🙂

Also, that Street Fighter 2010 game, I loved back in my NES days! Played it a lot. Hard, but fun. I remembering being impressed by it's graphics. Good times.

Great video!

Edited by Strider
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Also, that Street Fighter 2010 game, I loved back in my NES days! Played it a lot. Hard, but fun.

That was definitely the highlight of the games I've discovered with this console. Never knew it existed, but it's a really good game! I think if it hadn't been shoehorned into the Street Fighter franchise, it might have fared better, as it's such a completely different kind of game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SlithyMatt said:

That was definitely the highlight of the games I've discovered with this console. Never knew it existed, but it's a really good game! I think if it hadn't been shoehorned into the Street Fighter franchise, it might have fared better, as it's such a completely different kind of game.

That's one thing I have doing a lot of lately, looking for games I missed back when they were new. Reading a lot of "Top 10" lists of obscure or "hidden gems" for various systems. It's quite fun to discover and play a "new" old game! Also discovered some games, a few recently on the TG-16/PCE, that were listed as Japanese but are in English. So I skipped over them when I first seen them. Or they were shooters where the language of the text is not nearly as important. And of course, translated hacked ROMs. Like I said earlier, I spend more time on my $35 Raspberry Pi than on my MUCH more expensive high-end "gaming" PC. lol

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

I assume you know all about The Guardian Legend and Battle of Olympus

Again, two of my favorite NES games! I have played them both several times over the years. Actually, I just played through Guardian Legend a couple months ago ... again. 😆

Also just got done playing Soldier Blade for the TG-16/PCE. I love the old school scrolling shooters. This one was a lot of fun, hard, but I had a blast playing it! If you like that sort of game, it's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubCRXZaI9ek

Soldier_blade_boxart.jpg.c8c422f5cc32e558c279d5c9f1217b0a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So... everyone knows I like my Raspberry Pi. However, I have also been somewhat interested in MiSTer as well for my classic gaming needs, but my time is limited.

Then I just seen this project....

Now I want one. 😆

Thoughts?

Edited by Strider

Always remember to check your batteries! 🧐

Even on new hardware.

I was working on my GPi today, and decided to check the batteries as I often do, and seen one leaking, even though it's only been in there about a week.

Just glad I caught it before it did any damage. I seen it on the cover first.

IMG_20210903_134041072.jpg.fd28b4ad86f0da70b98129d5a68b42fe.jpg

IMG_20210903_134025980.jpg.3219656c778552ac20bae409e4c07bda.jpg

Edited by Strider

I bought this thing a few days ago: https://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-MINI-GAME-BOX-Nintendo-NES/dp/B087N4M2M4 Not at Amazon, at local store, I just could not find better link in english.

RMC EXTREME MINI GAME BOX EMX-041 HDMI

It's yet another Chinese NES clone, but this one is totally wireless. Has about 800 games on board, and you can add your own with SD card.

I plugged it in my projector, and now I'm gaming NES wirelessly on a big screen. Result is great!

41lVf5AXR0L.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cyber said:

I bought this thing a few days ago: https://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-MINI-GAME-BOX-Nintendo-NES/dp/B087N4M2M4 Not at Amazon, at local store, I just could not find better link in english.

RMC EXTREME MINI GAME BOX EMX-041 HDMI

It's yet another Chinese NES clone, but this one is totally wireless. Has about 800 games on board, and you can add your own with SD card.

I plugged it in my projector, and now I'm gaming NES wirelessly on a big screen. Result is great!

I have seen a lot of those for sale on Amazon, and was curious how well they worked. The only plug &  play HDMI games I have anymore are a couple of the Atari Flashback Blast units, each with about 20 games on them. I picked them up on clearance at my local Wal-Mart about a year ago for $1.99 each. lol

I have seriously thought about investing in small projector for my RetroPie setups. I still might. There are some seemingly good deals on Amazon.

10 hours ago, Roughnight said:

Hi,

my setup is a C64C i paintet black/gold with an old security camera monitor I got from work. Besides I got a TheC64 for testing my crappy asm code 😄

Nice!

I have a TheC64 Mini, still no Maxi. It gets a lot of use for playing my favorite old C64 games. That's the one thing I don't really emulate on my Pi's.

Truth be told, while I would love to have a real C64 again, and I am thinking about a Maxi, if I was to get a computer from my childhood I keep looking at a TI-99/4A. Not the most popular, obviously older and not as powerful as a C64, but it was the first home computer I ever owned, and I fell it love with it. I really loved it's PEB and expansions, and those are much harder at a reasonable price. It started my journey and still holds a special place in my retro heart.

I have been looking at them a lot lately on eBay, but my lack of space and time keeps stopping me from making the leap. It's hard to resist the urge to buy one. lol

Edited by Strider

16 bit is modern, 8 bit is retro. But I guess we can count DOS because it only had an 8 bit data bus. 🙂

Edit: I guess I should have said "because it ran on a computer with an 8 bit data bus." Sorry, just had to make a pedantic observation before someone else did.

Edited by Scott Robison
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kliepatsch said:

I like DosBox ... Not sure if that counts as "retro" 😄 Since I like soothing games more than action loaded ones, I have played a lot of Settlers and The Secret of Monkey Island.

Counts as retro to me!

I use it as well, have for a long time, it's just a great all around DOS emulator for those classic titles. I use it a lot to play late 80's to late 90's titles mainly.

I also use a PC emulator called PCem, not the most original name but it's great for emulating old 80486 bases systems. It's not nearly as fancy as other options out there, but I ran across it, gave it a try, and liked it's simplicity. Plus, it just works well and does what I want it to do. I use it to play some 80's games and mess around in Win 3.1. Also to play around with older DOS software.

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

Counts as retro to me!

I use it as well, have for a long time, it's just a great all around DOS emulator for those classic titles. I use it a lot to play late 80's to late 90's titles mainly.

I also use a PC emulator called PCem, not the most original name but it's great for emulating old 80486 bases systems. It's not nearly as fancy as other options out there, but I ran across it, gave it a try, and liked it's simplicity. Plus, it just works well and does what I want it to do. I use it to play some 80's games and mess around in Win 3.1. Also to play around with older DOS software.

PCem ... I've played with it (not used it to play games) but maybe that's what I need to use to play WarCraft II BNE which I haven't done for quite a while. Still my favorite WarCraft...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Robison said:

PCem ... I've played with it (not used it to play games) but maybe that's what I need to use to play WarCraft II BNE which I haven't done for quite a while. Still my favorite WarCraft...

It's been forever since I really played WarCraft! I loved the original and Tides of Darkness, but I kinda dropped out of it after that. I have never never tried the Battle.net Edition, never knew it existed! Will have to check it out.

My go to RTS was Command & Conquer, I have played every title in the series, many many times over. They remastered the original C&C and Red Alert, and I play that via Steam, now I am hoping for a Red Alert 2 remaster, that was my favorite in the series. 🙂

Actually, in most places online my name has a TR in it, so StriderTR or TRStrider, the TR originated from my C&C days playing it via Westwood Online and with my two boys once they were old enough. We had one of the top rated clans at the time, Tiberian Republic (TR), and I just kept using it becasue the letters also happens to match other aspects of my life.