Your "Retro Gaming" Hardware or Emulators?

33 minutes ago, Strider said:

It's been forever since I really played WarCraft! I loved the original and Tides of Darkness, but I kinda dropped out of it after that. I have never never tried the Battle.net Edition, never knew it existed! Will have to check it out.

My go to RTS was Command & Conquer, I have played every title in the series, many many times over. They remastered the original C&C and Red Alert, and I play that via Steam, now I am hoping for a Red Alert 2 remaster, that was my favorite in the series. 🙂

Actually, in most places online my name has a TR in it, so StriderTR or TRStrider, the TR originated from my C&C days playing it via Westwood Online and with my two boys once they were old enough. We had one of the top rated clans at the time, Tiberian Republic (TR), and I just kept using it becasue the letters also happens to match other aspects of my life.

I was never a big user of the actual BNE portions, I just preferred the Windows ported WarCraft II to the DOS version. And I had fun playing it with my kids too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlithyMatt said:

Here's my handy chart:

image.png.cd036cfdf2b1d78e79cc66b606bb7f44.png

Further explanation in one of my videos:

You got to love a good chart! 😄

Also, I seen that video when you dropped it. I thought it was really well done. I often go take a peek at them when you post. 👍

In all reality, that sums up my likes when it comes to consoles. I started to step back from that scene once we hit the 32-bit era, while I did enjoy them, and messed around with the first 64-bit consoles, PC dominated a vast majority of my time. However, it was always the 8 & 16-bit consoles that I always go back to.

When it comes to computers however, my chart would be straight across the board from 1981 and my first TI-99/4A, to the 3x modern Ryzen machines sitting running at home right now. It really didn't start getting old to me until recently, through the 80's and 90's I pretty much lived and breathed the stuff.

On a side note, I credit the TI-99/4A for sparking my interest in building and expanding my own systems as well. While that system obviously could not hold a candle to the Commodore 64 once it was released, it's expandability always still impressed me. I thought the add-in cards for the PEB were amazing at the time, and I even really liked daisy chaining peripherals across my desk. It was that TI that drove me to build my first PC, an 80386 powered machine, much like most people do today. I was lucky enough to live in an area with plenty of computer shops around, and a local shop where I was able to score a lot of hardware. I was in heaven.

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

16 bit is modern, 8 bit is retro.

Not often I hear such distinction. It usually depends on speaker's age and more importantly which era he lived and when he was first intoroduced to computers and consoles. Is it correct with your case? )

I personally treat both 8 bit and 16 bit as retro. Modern era started for me with 32 bits and continues by this day. Though in 32 bits I distinguish good old ganes and more modern boring ones.

But once I watched a YouTube video titled "Collection of retro games" or something like that, and it featured 10 games released about year 2000! I was like "WAT!" Then I realised this video was made by a young guy. And 2000 is pretty retro for him. My first reaction was "Wasted!", but then "Never mind him".

14 hours ago, Cyber said:

Not often I hear such distinction. It usually depends on speaker's age and more importantly which era he lived and when he was first intoroduced to computers and consoles. Is it correct with your case? )

I personally treat both 8 bit and 16 bit as retro. Modern era started for me with 32 bits and continues by this day. Though in 32 bits I distinguish good old ganes and more modern boring ones.

But once I watched a YouTube video titled "Collection of retro games" or something like that, and it featured 10 games released about year 2000! I was like "WAT!" Then I realised this video was made by a young guy. And 2000 is pretty retro for him. My first reaction was "Wasted!", but then "Never mind him".

I was not serious about my distinction, though it is still hard for me to accept that things I remember so well happened so many years ago.

Edit: I am 53, but really, an IBM PC 5150 is just as retro as a Commodore 64. Perhaps even more retro, even though DOS survived much longer. That might be why DOS doesn't seem at first glance as quite so retro, as it continued to be used well into the Pentium and later CPUs, and you can still install some relatives like Free DOS today on actual hardware.

Edited by Scott Robison
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

I was not serious about my distinction, though it is still hard for me to accept that things I remember so well happened so many years ago.

Edit: I am 53, but really, an IBM PC 5150 is just as retro as a Commodore 64. Perhaps even more retro, even though DOS survived much longer. That might be why DOS doesn't seem at first glance as quite so retro, as it continued to be used well into the Pentium and later CPUs, and you can still install some relatively like Free DOS today on actual hardware.

Sorry for treating you serious, but I actually used to such distinctions, even though they are rare. For example I remeber somebody treating Atari 2600 retro and everything that came after a modern stuff. Apparently he was an old guy.

Speaking about myself, I'm not that old. I'm 38, but I live in twisted country. We often fall behind with the rest of the world, then later catching up in an odd way. My early childhood was filled with NES games and MS-DOS CGA games and software. Both machines were clones. Some time later we, still kids, were introduced to Atari 2600 clone, and we called it 4 bit, because it was inferior to NES on our eyes. ) So warm memories...

• Like 1

I tend to think of "retro" as a fluid term, often a matter of ones perspective.

For me, retro is my childhood through my early 20's, in terms of tech. I was born in the early 70's, so I really grew up in the 80's, and was a young adult through the 90's. I look upon those 20 years as the most memorable of my life, and consider most of that as "retro" when looking back. Though I understand many people generally look at retro as the 1980's for the most part, I just tend to expand it to include the 1990's as well.

My kids for example, oldest being 30, look upon the late 90's and early 2000's the same way I look upon the 80's. Though they still refer to the 80's as retro because I had most of my old systems as they were growing up, well into their teens, and they played on them of course.

Either way, I think as long as what you do gives you that warm fuzzy nostalgia feeling, you can call it whatever you like. 😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyber said:

Sorry for treating you serious, but I actually used to such distinctions, even though they are rare. For example I remeber somebody treating Atari 2600 retro and everything that came after a modern stuff. Apparently he was an old guy.

No apologies necessary, but appreciated. I also grew up country depending on how you define "grew up". I was born in Dallas and lived there until just before my 12th birthday, at which point my parents moved us about 100 miles NE to a 40 acre spread near Roxton TX with a population around 735 in the town but we were a couple miles out beyond that!

For just over 6 years I was there and pretty isolated in many ways. I was bought an Atari VCS (no 2600 yet! I just went upstairs to look in the box as I tried to remember which I had) in late 1981, I think. Maybe even 1980. We had PETs at my school though no teacher for a class until my senior year of 1985 - 1986, so I kind of adopted them as my own. Later my father bought me a Timex Sinclair 1000 which  was nice of him, but not a good computer. I later bought a C=64 based on my experience with Commodore and the fact that it was the best balance between affordable and functional that I could manage. No regrets buying that! I really didn't see or use anything else until I went to college, though I did read about them in Compute magazine. I have a few other throwback type devices (one Atari volume and some of the classic arcade joystick based things with Ms Pacman, Galaga, and their ilk).

So for me personally, those things I spent time playing games on in my youth are definitely retro. I didn't do much gaming on other hardware, so it's hard for me to think of them as retro gaming platforms even though I agree they are.

• Like 1

^ This. 

Retro = "What I used as a kid."  😃 

At least for those of us who have firmly entered middle age. For those people not yet old enough to drink, the definition is "stuff made before I was born."

Note for the pedantic: actually, "vintage" is stuff made more than 20 years ago. "Retro" better defines stuff that mimics or is modeled after 20+ year old products. So a legit Apple II is "vintage", but a Raspberry Pi based emulator in a 3D printed case is "retro". 

Edited by TomXP411
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 8:59 PM, Strider said:

I got an SN30 Pro USB (SN Edition), loved it, and got another one. Wired, because I just prefer it over wireless, and I am never so far my display I need wireless.

Okay, now I used my wireless NES clone (RMC EXTREME MINI GAME BOX EMX-041 HDMI) for a while, and I have some feedback. Since it's a chinese clone, quality is not that great, but it's definetely worth its money and it's playable enough. It's not a real NES hardware (unlike other modern chinese clones, which are real NES hardware), it's emulation, so some games glitch sometimes (in Battle Toads for example, your toad may disappear or game may hang). Most games don't glitch, and work fine.

But the good thing being emulation, they implemented load&save feature! You access it by pressing select+start. Load&save helps you beat hard games, save your progress in long games, and... even helps to overcome glitchy games by saving before the glitch! )

Also I noticed turbo buttons don't work turbo enough. And even if I press regular A or B very quickly, it does not respond quickly enough in the game. So, for example, beating "hit fist only guy" in Robocop is extremely hard. Not sure whether it's because of emulation ot wireless feature. But there are still many games that can be played well without noticable problems.

And I haven't mentioned yet another reason why I decided to get wireless console. I have 3 year old daughter, and when I play, she pulls my cables, which physically interrupts my gameplay! %) So now I have projector, console and screen all attached to ceiling, and they all are pretty out of reach for her. And I have a wireless d-pad in my hands, so now it is much harder for her to spoil my fun. )

Edited by Cyber
  • Like 1

@Cyber Sounds like it's a pretty decent device. One of the reasons I moved away from wireless controllers was issues with missed or delayed button presses. Not a big deal in some games, but a killer in others. Though to be fair that was several years ago, and many of today's wireless controllers are much better. Still, my youngest kid is 20 so I really have no need for it anymore. lol

@BruceMcF That's awesome! I can remember my boys playing my old 8 and 16-bit consoles and computers back in 99/2000 and saying something very similar to their younger sister.

None of them really do much "retro" anymore. It sucks, but I have enough retro nostalgia for everyone. 😆