Electronic Project/Soldering Kits

Strider

Up until about 1999, I repaired a vast majority of my electronic devices, or built items that I needed. Either just for fun or out of some need at the time. By 2000/2001, I had put down my soldering iron and pretty much just bought new items when they failed or needed some sort of servicing. With only a few exceptions for rare items, or those of personal value to me (like some of my 8/16-bit consoles or computers). So skills that I had been using since the 80's, were now going unused. Recently, I really started to miss building and repairing electronics, so I starting digging out my old tools or buying replacements. I picked up a simple little LED Heart Kit just to see if I still had it in me, and to "test" some of my tools to see if they worked. Well, it worked, and my wife liked it.

love-led-kit.jpg.e62c33bc10f5d78d9d3e702bfecc276d.jpg

Well, now I can't stop... To say that I missed it is an understatement, I forgot how much I enjoyed it and how relaxing it can be for me!

I picked up two more kits, one being a simple LED clock (I was looking for one to use near my desk, so why not make it?), and the other a simple handheld LED game, all from Amazon of course.

clock-1.jpg.164c9801ef1dca26c28a6971548315ca.jpgclock-front-on.jpg.97e8c2e74f4f07fe1f9283b756dee484.jpg

game-1.jpg.47c92514e96ff2a3ab2926f54e25738a.jpggame-3.jpg.75332e1b124049027e893bc1f7384a00.jpg

game-6.jpg.9533552253e75d69d25c4f629624d95a.jpggame-final-on.jpg.2376e8f0436abd19cada967c0f345fef.jpg

Now, I am on the hunt for more kits and projects! I am looking at a good old fashioned radio kit, and I seen a pretty cool kit where you can build a simple oscilloscope. They will likely be my next projects.

My question is, do any of you build these kits? If so, what ones, and do you have any recommendations? I don't care if they are classic or SMD, how simple or complicated, I am just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Edited by Strider

Hey, that little clock was the first kit I ever soldered together. (It took me a while to realize it, but you can indeed peel that clear sheet of the front of the display).

Feeling confident, the next project I did was to 'pro sound' mod a used GameBoy.  And then, the third thing I tried was this oscilloscope kit:

https://jyetech.com/dso138mini-oscilloscope-diy-kit/

What's fun about that one is, you can actually use it for electronics projects when you're done with it.  I used it to help diagnose the C64 I rescued from the trash, for example, by checking for 'clock' signals at the appropriate pins.   (It was also fun to hook up it up to the sound output of the GameBoy and look at the waveforms.)

If what you need is an oscilloscope, then this is obviously this isn't the best one out there.  But if what you want is more stuff to solder, why not solder something you can use afterward?

(The pin header leading to the screen is very small, with not much space between the pins.  It was, so far, the most challenging single component I've ever soldered. But I got through it!)

Beyond that, I have to give a shoutout to the PE6502, which took me about three afternoons to build. At the end, you have your own little 6502-based computer, which I am still enjoying working with.  It'd good prep for the upcoming X16p kit.  The official page is here:

http://www.putnamelectronics.com/

...but you might check with @Corneleous Worthington to see what the current buying options are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Chow Seymour said:

Hey, that little clock was the first kit I ever soldered together. (It took me a while to realize it, but you can indeed peel that clear sheet of the front of the display).

Feeling confident, the next project I did was to 'pro sound' mod a used GameBoy.  And then, the third thing I tried was this oscilloscope kit:

https://jyetech.com/dso138mini-oscilloscope-diy-kit/

What's fun about that one is, you can actually use it for electronics projects when you're done with it.  I used it to help diagnose the C64 I rescued from the trash, for example, by checking for 'clock' signals at the appropriate pins.   (It was also fun to hook up it up to the sound output of the GameBoy and look at the waveforms.)

If what you need is an oscilloscope, then this is obviously this isn't the best one out there.  But if what you want is more stuff to solder, why not solder something you can use afterward?

(The pin header leading to the screen is very small, with not much space between the pins.  It was, so far, the most challenging single component I've ever soldered. But I got through it!)

Beyond that, I have to give a shoutout to the PE6502, which took me about three afternoons to build. At the end, you have your own little 6502-based computer, which I am still enjoying working with.  It'd good prep for the upcoming X16p kit.  The official page is here:

http://www.putnamelectronics.com/

...but you might check with @Corneleous Worthington to see what the current buying options are.

The very last thing I do is peel off protective sheets, but I did indeed remove it. 🙂

That oscilloscope kit kooks similar to the one I am looking at, but they all copy each other of course. Yeah, I don't need one, more of a "just for fun" build that may also be practical.

https://www.amazon.com/kuman-3O-IUX5-O0TZ-Digital-Oscilloscope-pre-soldered/dp/B0195ZIURK/

The  PE6502 does look like a LOT of fun, I had forgot about it! I will have to contact them and see if I can get one. Thanks for the reminder! lol

Looking at this Radio kit as well, seems like a fun build.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008515U1U/

Edited by Strider