Strider

Retro Game Memes!

Well, I guess I will kick this off with two of my favorite retro game memes that I really like. 🙂

I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, so we have to start with...

everybodylives-small.jpg.0136981e444d177f58dd32b88d2743b1.jpg

Ever wonder why space invaders follow their distinctive attack pattern? Invaders 101!

invader-school.jpg.bcf881f86a20b7e0eea6e9e9dc969b5e.jpg

🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I don't recall where I originally seen or got this, but found it funny enough to save it. 😛

The idea of an Apple II / C64 hybrid was an idea that 1980's me would have loved! haha

commodorespart.thumb.jpg.0364c3aa7f3c686bb6e41dc67a8d28d6.jpg

Edited by Strider

Ran across a few more good ones that made me feel nostalgic. haha

The "Konami Code", playing Phantasy Star online on my Sega Saturn, the glorious days of loading games from cassette, and how I feel about a lot of modern "retro" games. So many memories. :)

1002092805-photo-u1.jpg.959443a6a3fd20683f11112fb43ee3d7.jpg

1002092680-photo-u1.jpg.e00a2bab86706d8c3fb580a334e7ef8d.jpg

64cassette.jpg.45734a163b9097106257cfe8311945ff.jpgtapedrive64.jpg.9f406d59f7ae57e42fe3f8d36cf6ae62.jpg

DpLznXAWkAEENt9.jpg.edf9666623385a3da0d36b136473508c.jpg

• Like 3

Not truly a meme, but jokes about some retro arcade games in this USSR cartoon at timecode from 2:52 to 3:26.
Shown here are USSR arcade games Highway, Sea Battle, Safari and some shooting game unknown to me.
But I know that most USSR arcades were clones of western ones, so I'm sure you will see familiar games.

• Like 3

Man, those earrrrly arcade games escape me - I would've thought the one with the periscope is "Sea Wolf" but other than that, only the driving game looks familiar to me, but I wouldn't have been able to call the name of it. I mostly missed the black-and-white arcade era, but games from then that I did like to play and have memories of are: Space Invaders, Night Driver, Circus, Sea Wolf, and Asteroids. There are probably some others but I'm not recalling any of them right now... early color-era games that stick out in my mind: Berzerk, Galaxian (obviously), Space Panic, Scramble, and Vanguard.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My memories are pretty similar, games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender, Donkey Kong, and on up the line.

I was reading an article recently on how they made games for classic consoles (like the NES) with the technology limitations of the time, and it reminded me of something, about a favorite classic we all know and love! I was curious if anyone else happened to notice it back when they first played it, circa 1985, or whenever you first played Super Mario Bros.?

I sure didn't, I was too much in awe at the time, but MANY years later ...  😄

cloudbush.jpg.92113ec6053196ee0c9f847d6cc6cdbd.jpg

What got me going down that rabbit hole was watching David figure out how to cram as much into PETSCii Robots as he could within the constraints of the various hardware, and his reuse of textures. A common practice, but one we rarely notice when done properly, unless you're looking for it. haha

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

Also, another favorite meme of mine, that I STILL do to this day whenever I play classics on a controller. 🤣

press-faster.jpg.df1a0f44a61a398b458c2548fb2c9f0a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I definitely never noticed the clouds = bushes thing back in the day. I'm actually a little surprised because I was definitely one to notice such things from a "how'd they do that" perspective - I think the NES era was probably my lowest level of inquisitiveness - I was totally into the games for gaming's sake at that point. By the SNES era, when the cola wars had spilled over into many other fora, i.e. SNES|Genesis RULES! !SNES|Genesis SUCKS! - as an avid SNES zealot, I made a point of knowing the tech specs and how they made my box better than your box (if you were a Sega person) so I was always keen to notice things like color math, mode 7, etc.

Incidentally, that's one thing that makes me love Retro Game Mechanics Explained - he goes into the technical nitty-gritty of how these things I always appreciated were actually done under the hood.

edit: I think the most accurate description of the Sega vs Nintendo fan mentality: Sega XOR Genesis

Edited by ZeroByte
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Back then, I seen a distinct line between "computers" and "consoles", and while you played games on both, I was much more interested in the hardware on computers and just the games on consoles. Not really fully appreciating the fact the consoles were really just "dedicated" computers, designed to do one task, and do that task very well.

Me personally, my only real gripe with the Nintendo/Sega debate was Nintendo's censorship of games, while Sega let the blood fly. Beyond that, I liked both systems for what they were, and actually enjoyed the fact they both had different sound and graphical palettes. It made each machine unique in it's own way. Granted, I favored more games on SNES than Genesis, but I did love the fact Sega tried so hard to push the envelope with the 32X and Sega CD. Nintendo had CD and floppy disk add-ons, but not here in the US, they just didn't want to step away from carts.

Also, Sega tried to push consoles online with the Saturn in 1996 (and later with the Dreamcast in 1998), something I thought was so awesome back then. My real first "MMO" was Phantasy Star Online on the DC.

Of course, XBand tried it earlier in 1994. I thought it was a neat idea, and had one for each console, it only supported a very limited number of games. Plus, it was SLOW as all get out by PC standards of the era, really only good for messaging.😁

xband.jpg.eee60c702e779a30bab90420ef017d33.jpg

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I liked both systems for what they were, and actually enjoyed the fact they both had different sound and graphical palettes.

One Sega Genesis game really made a huge impression on me as far as hitting the sweet spot for the look/feel/sound - Micky Mouse & The Castle Of Illusion. Something about the music and the parallax scrolling (which really wasn't amazing when I look back on it) really wowed me. I liked how the music was always really perfect for the environment, and in particular, the music that it played during stage 1 when you get to the haunted section at the end. Something about that spooky-ookie set of instruments and the minor key just resonated with me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Genesis games that made the biggest impression on me were titles like Chakan, Splatterhouse 2, Comix Zone, or other games that were "darker". Comix Zone I just thought looked really cool, loved the comic book art style of it. Oh, and I can't forget TMNT Hyperzone Heist. Loved the TMNT games back then!

One of my all time favorite video game series is Castlevania, and while Nintendo had a majority of the series on their platform, Castlevania Bloodlines is by far one of my all time favorites! They did an absolutely wonderful job on that one. The visuals, music, levels, just a ton of fun to play. I have always been a fan of the music in the series, but to hear it on the Genesis was a treat.

Edited by Strider

Here some memes translated from russian. An yes, NES games came to ex-USSR countries in 90's.

demotivatorium_ru_world_of_tanks_iz_90h_168980.png.714ba85596149ffbdf524008566aff31.png

demotivatorium_ru_jestokaja_loj__90h_716.jpg.2cf66af0315e05678886d092fbe9ba44.jpg

58899.jpeg.7a833c49494dcd7a33f814d19befe6d0.jpeg

• Like 2

OMG, the "9999 Games in One" scams! I hated  those! I never knew those were common in other countries as well.

The RAM one, that's good. I would say "No, son, it's not RAM, it's ROM." 😛

I ran across a few more that I had to share...

Like this one... I have no idea what this is supposed to be, just "futuristic" tech advertising or some sort of dev setup? I mean, we can identify all the hardware, but used together???

Either way, it may not be a meme, but it's meme worthy. haha

whatthe.jpg.203a1121eb490c980e4eff3e3bb4c678.jpg

I remember this. Good times. Pain in the backside. 😛

90smp.jpg.ee54fcbb8638d3b4b6a6ac36f90adb4f.jpg

Lastly, beware of games that are too realistic! If they only knew how far we would come...

too-realistic.jpg.944b08a4dc57571cfad07e76e0ed9981.jpg

• Like 1

My caption for the one with the woman at a Sparcstation with VR goggles and a Nintendo PowerGlove:
"This is a UNIX system. I know this!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Scott Robison said:

"If a ram is a male sheep, is a rom a female sheep?"

If a RAM and a ROM get together do you get a wee little bit? Does it byte? Or do you just get a warm blanket?

OK, that was a bad one. haha

1 hour ago, ZeroByte said:

My caption for the one with the woman at a Sparcstation with VR goggles and a Nintendo PowerGlove:
"This is a UNIX system. I know this!"

Nintendo's old "Now you're playing with power!" came to mind. 😄

Posted (edited)

With my soft spot for retro translations, I came up with this one Valentine's Day a few years back:

Somebody-set-us-up-the-bond.png.b3e015ba35c7217b6cea0eed4e0b585d.png

Ah, Zero Wing. So many memes. All my heart is belong to you.

Edit: Oh hey, that wouldn't be bad, either.

all-my-heart-are-belong-to-you.png.79e461d20f915e61cdbdc5229f6ad703.png

Edited by StephenHorn
  • Like 2

Now I have to see if I can stream 8bit-mono PCM from SD in realtime.... It would be awesome to have the All Your Base Are Belong To Us remix song w/ the memes as an X16 demo.

• Like 1

You should look up the Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Remix music video. Seeing George Takei say "All your base are belong to us!" was a wonderful thing back when that game came out. Combining a favorite game series with one of my favorite actors. lol

C&C is my favorite RTS game series, has been since 1995!

Posted (edited)

I was literally just joking about this with a family member!

I maintain a modern "high-end" gaming PC, but I spend most of my time playing retro games on a Raspberry Pi. 🤣

Made my own. haha

gaming01.thumb.jpg.b72efbb41966e1f2c4f4e201351e8ae3.jpg

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1