ZeroByte

pre-R39 cc65 question

Question

Posted (edited)

I'm trying working to make a quick pull request to fix the YM2151 clock frequency on github (still gotta figure out how that works using the command line but not asking that here) and so I recompiled my AdLib emulation demo to see that the playback pitch is correct with my setting - but my program doesn't run because waitvsync() seems broken in cc65 on the main branch....

I don't want to update cc65 yet because I don't want to mess with cc65 at the moment because I don't want to inadvertently break my ability to write for R38 until R39 is official. Does anyone know what breaks about waitvsync() in "R39" and what a workaround might be?

I did load one of my BASIC programs that plays music, and it's correct pitch on that, and poking a concert A into the YM produced the correct pitch, so I'm already convinced, but I wanted to hear music play back correctly before making the decision to submit my pull request.

Edited by ZeroByte

On 4/6/2021 at 4:15 AM, AndyMt said:

I've updated my Repo so now waitvsync() uses RDTIM instead of the TIMER memory address. This makes it compatible with more ROM versions, but also a bit slower.

This is more important than I thought. Apparently the jiffies clock is updated very late in the kernal IRQ handler. When I started working on input code on my Flappy Bird game, I noticed tearing at the top of the screen whenever I hit keys on the kbd. This means that waitvsync() isn’t even getting control back until AFTER vblank is done.

Not a big deal for me as I already plan to switch over to using the raster IRQ anyway, but I thought it might be useful knowledge to share this.

• Like 1