Question

Can some one tell me how to use sprites please (I know this seems (and probably is) like a noob question and sorry if it is.

But please help?

2 answers to this question

You need to store sprites somewhere in VRAM (just as you would define tiles) and then reference them in the Sprite Attribute Registers (https://github.com/commanderx16/x16-docs/blob/master/VERA Programmer's Reference.md#sprite-attributes) that are mapped to VRAM from $1FC00. You will also need to enable sprites by setting bit 6 in the DC_VIDEO register that is mapped to main RAM ($9F29).

I am going to be making a video about this in a few weeks, but until then you may want to catch up on the underlying concepts of development that I lay out in my YouTube tutorial series: 

Of particular relevance, past the introductory concepts of assembly programming, are episodes 9 ("Hello, VERA") and 12 ("Tiles"). Using sprites will be an extension of that.

4 hours ago, SlithyMatt said:

You need to store sprites somewhere in VRAM (just as you would define tiles) and then reference them in the Sprite Attribute Registers (https://github.com/commanderx16/x16-docs/blob/master/VERA Programmer's Reference.md#sprite-attributes) that are mapped to VRAM from $1FC00. You will also need to enable sprites by setting bit 6 in the DC_VIDEO register that is mapped to main RAM ($9F29).

I am going to be making a video about this in a few weeks, but until then you may want to catch up on the underlying concepts of development that I lay out in my YouTube tutorial series: 

Of particular relevance, past the introductory concepts of assembly programming, are episodes 9 ("Hello, VERA") and 12 ("Tiles"). Using sprites will be an extension of that.

Thank you very much I'll certainly take your advice. Peter

• Like 1