DrTypo

New demo uploaded: Voxel demo screen

Voxel demo screen

View File

This is a simple voxel demo written in 65c02 assembly. It has been tested in the r38 emulator.

Press W A S D to move around.

Press SPACE to quit.

• Like 6

This is astonishing.  I get the feeling we've only barely scratched the surface of what this little computer can do.

• Like 1

Yes, the X16 is a very stimulating machine! And I'm not a 65c02 guru. I've written voxel engines on the Atari Falcon and Jaguar, and also in x86-64 assembly. But I'm new to this 8bit business. I started a couple of weeks ago with the excellent Youtube tutorials from Matt. So there may well be a few clever optimizations that could be done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is the source code.

voxel.zip contains the 65c02 assembly source code with the necessary data files (tables, heightmap). You can assemble it using the cc65 tools. There is a .bat file for Windows users to assemble the thing.

simpleVoxel.zip is the tables generator. It computes the tables and displays a test render. You can't move around. This is a VS2017 C++ solution. It relies on the OneLoneCoder Pixel Game Engine to display the render. This game engine fits in a single header file. If you want to easily make games on a modern machine in C++ you should check it out!

voxel.zip simpleVoxel.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTypo said:

It relies on the OneLoneCoder Pixel Game Engine

I watch his channel - his series on the NES Emulator from scratch was very enlightening. He uses that game engine for everything! 🙂