Strider

1980's Memes

Posted (edited)

I ran across a few memes I liked that made me think ...

What reminds me of the 80's?

There is a LOT, especially when you include TV and music into the mix , but I narrowed it down to just a few items that popup the most in my memories, the things I used and loved to play with. Things we had that stuck in the minds of many people I am sure.

The NES, console TV's, VCR's, the Sony Walkman, and of course, the Commodore 64.

1980s.jpg.fb6dd168d6ebb7d3e444f7fbe208617e.jpg

These are the original memes I found that got me thinking about this in the first place!

80sfridaystarter.jpg.9368c44cc6ca19296a1cfbdb982bc020.jpg

80s-saturday-morning-starter-pack.jpg.c52a7764d49ec0d40b9036a767c27c7e.jpg

through-this-great-80s-decade.jpg.fc3205aba2f08405ff22548fb5707e04.jpg  

gettingold.jpg.4fadf7868639603c8558e5f09c09697a.jpg    

callblock.jpg.072706344cecbdd9c6e507af2a1995e0.jpg

So, what about you, what "things" take your mind back to the 80's? Besides the totally radical TV and music of the era. 😛

Edited by Strider
  • Like 2

I love that one too!

Funny how many of the younger generation say "To write on the  label?", and then look confused when you say "nope". haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I love that one too!

Funny how many of the younger generation say "To write on the  label?", and then look confused when you say "nope". haha

In fairness, that's perfectly reasonable and did happen. The example cassette should really already have a label instead of a blank white rectangle that screams "Write in me!"

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, StephenHorn said:

In fairness, that's perfectly reasonable and did happen. The example cassette should really already have a label instead of a blank white rectangle that screams "Write in me!"

Very true. I used pencil more than pen, on both my music and data cassettes, since the contents changed so much. And of course, the inserts! Where I would write the names and counter numbers. :) 

2011_01_15_18_42_04.jpg.4f001804ce6e07b9073e9fb968ca0cc2.jpg

010  turboloader
033 frogger
098 commandos
155 cybernoid 2

and then having to mess with this to get rid of the ?LOAD ERRORs:

Says Me Says Mom: Funtivity Friday - Art Projects ...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Or trying to repair it after it gets mangled or snaps ... splicing a section out with scissors, tweezers, and clear tape, hoping for the best. The copying it to a new cassette as quickly as possible.

Data recovery, 80's style! haha

tapesplice.jpg.fcc49ee0322d08dfb2f443a867511fce.jpg

Good times!

My dad got me an actual splicing/repair kit back then, not sure where he got it, but it had a proper block, tape, and tools. 😛

Edited by Strider

holy crap Strider that's some dedication right there, I never did that and just accepted my loss after a good cry 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The copying it to a new cassette as quickly as possible.

Good ol' dual-deck cassette boom boxes were everywhere back then - and to think how the RIAA howled that they enabled music piracy, yet it also enabled software piracy too! History shows that this didn't matter - people still got rich making music and video games anyway, piracy notwithstanding.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, desertfish said:

holy crap Strider that's some dedication right there, I never did that and just accepted my loss after a good cry 😞

I repaired a lot of tapes back then, or at least tried, with varying levels of success. From splicing, to trying to flatten out crinkled tape, to trying to copy it in various recorders. Even had a dual-deck unit you could change the playback speed on. Had some success copying damaged tape at a lower speed. I tried a LOT. lol

8 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

Good ol' dual-deck cassette boom boxes were everywhere back then - and to think how the RIAA howled that they enabled music piracy, yet it also enabled software piracy too! History shows that this didn't matter - people still got rich making music and video games anyway, piracy notwithstanding.

Oh yeah, there was a lot of cassette and disk copying going on back then among friends. :P

Technically, making a mix tape was piracy, but everyone did it. lol

Posted (edited)

I seen this one and couldn't help but laugh a little, this is so true!

Growing up before smartphones greatly increased your knowledge of health and beauty products at home. 😛

life-before-smartphones.jpg.0eeee100baa3728f8e7d61ae0f5697a6.jpg

And this ad for Commodore made me think of "Puppyfractic". 😂

Also, no eating over the computer! haha

c64-add-80s.thumb.jpg.48486eabb053fa7b03baf7660ecdd38d.jpg

Edited by Strider

Posted (edited)

The kid to his sister: "I bet they shop some cheesy Missile Command knock-off over this blank screen...."

Edited by ZeroByte
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me in the 1980's ...

No way you're gonna sit me behind a Commodore and tell me I have to "pretend" to play a game! Turn that thing on and lets get it done!

• Like 1

In the days before smartphones, some people used to keep magazines or paperback novels (remember print?) in a rack so that there was always reading material within reach.

• Like 2

We used to keep a magazine or two in the restroom. Most of the time there was a computer related one for me and a racing related one for my dad. We had a little rack on the wall to hold them. 😛

Though I do remember my mom putting a phone in the restroom as well. Worst .. idea .. ever!  To this day I refuse to answer calls on the loo. haha

• Haha 1

Phone calls and potty do NOT mix. If you had a blind friend, would you invite them into the bathroom with you while you go? No? Then don't take me in there with you if we're on the phone.

• Like 1

Phone calls and potty mix as long as no one knows. The blind person probably has a heightened sense of smell and would know that way. 🙂

In the days before smartphones, some people used to keep magazines or paperback novels (remember print?) in a rack so that there was always reading material within reach.
I still do. My master bath has a rack built into the wall. Primo!!!

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't have a lot of room to talk, we have an Alexa in our restroom, have one in every room but one. House is full of "smart" lights and my wife uses it to play music.

So we went from magazines and newspapers, to phones, to smartphones, to smart drives listening to everything we do. 😂

To be honest, I don't have a lot of room to talk, we have an Alexa in our restroom, have one in every room but one. House is full of "smart" lights and my wife uses it to play music.
So we went from magazines and newspapers, to phones, to smartphones, to smart drives listening to everything we do.
I can't imagine the many fart recordings amazon has collected.

Sent from my brand unspecific tablet

• Like 1