1980's Memes

Strider

Just now, Strider said:

I've seen that one! Excellent video, great song too. 😊

As someone put it in the comments,  4 and a half minutes of absolute proof the 80s were the best evah!    Man, its my childhood and teen years in terms of the pop culture we all knew and loved boiled down and distilled into a hell of a potent nostalgia fix. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Snickers11001001 said:

As someone put it in the comments,  4 and a half minutes of absolute proof the 80s were the best evah!    Man, its my childhood and teen years in terms of the pop culture we all knew and loved boiled down and distilled into a hell of a potent nostalgia fix. 

I loved all the live action clips they included. They lost me just a bit with the 80s cartoon montage. And the song is great. 🙂

10 hours ago, jtk said:

Literally me on the box and what I was doing during the 80s 🙂 This too:

s-l300.jpg

So did you use the microphone as a device to record captain's log entries? Or maybe it looks more like the heartbeat monitor used in the original series? https://www.yourprops.com/Heartbeat-Monitor-replica-movie-prop-Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-TV-1966-YP74407.html

7 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

So did you use the microphone as a device to record captain's log entries? Or maybe it looks more like the heartbeat monitor used in the original series? https://www.yourprops.com/Heartbeat-Monitor-replica-movie-prop-Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-TV-1966-YP74407.html

OMG that brings back memories! I had picked up a couple of Next Generation Tricorder toys from KB Toys way back in the 90's to add to my collection of other Trek junk I didn't need. This one to be exact...

1305c1aadb8af462b52e2e4dee54f345.jpg.dbb78e6a7aea751ed59556edbbaba89d.jpg

Anyway, I got this bright idea I was going to make it look more like a TV prop than a toy. So I tore it apart, replaced all the lights with LED's and put some in spots where there should have been lights to begin with. I cut out all the fake buttons and put membrane buttons in their place, connected to a simple "beeper" circuit to make noise when pressed, and kept the original functions and sound effects in place. I also included a bright white LED on the top that could be used as a flashlight, all be it a dim one.

As I was going through all my old stuff many years later, I found it and it's unaltered counterpart. I ended up taking a lot of the stuff to a big comic shop near St.Louis ta the time (can't remember the name of that place for nothing...), where I had bought and sold a lot of stuff in the past. The guy going through it all came across my "upgraded" Tricorder and fell in love with it. I joked and said "whoops", that one is mine", he immediately told me he would add an extra $50 for it. Of course, I responded "sold!"

Seriously, I used to love doing that back then, making movie/TV style props. For some strange reason, it never once occurred to me to try and sell any of it. 😆

Edited by Strider
  • Like 2