WASD Keyboard Ordered - Now Three Questions

Midcon113

• Super Administrators
I've lately noticed that the ink on the "high traffic" keycaps is starting to wear off.  A, L, and >.

If you’re referring to the WASD keyboard that definitely shouldn’t happen anywhere near this soon (if at all). What did their warranty support say when you reached out?

38 minutes ago, Perifractic said:

If you’re referring to the WASD keyboard that definitely shouldn’t happen anywhere near this soon (if at all). What did their warranty support say when you reached out?

Ha!  You think I reached out... that's amusing.

And it's a good idea too.  OK did due diligence; we'll see what they say.

Edited by rje

1 hour ago, Perifractic said:

I'm past the 1 year warranty.

They can offer discounted reprints for the affected keys, based on my previous order number.  $4 a key, three keys = $12.  $4.30 shipping. Worth a try.

Edited by rje

1 hour ago, rje said:

Sorted.  Here's hoping that other keys don't wear.

It's still a great keyboard.

I know your pain. I bought the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard (with a name like that, why not) when it was crowd funding a few years ago. They were slow to deliver everything, but they did (which I can't say about every thing I've ever kicked money into). It has been awesome being able to position the halves independently and do most everything from the keyboard itself. My only really problem is my N key is getting fidgety after several years of heavy use. It is an open source design and I can replace the switch myself, but it still "works" and it lives by the credo "if one N is good, two are better!" (most of the time)

Actually, I bought two of them, along with two expansion modules for each I can mouse from the keyboard or my recently delivered thumb trackball. Really has been a great keyboard for me personally, but it was not inexpensive.

Since it is a programmable keyboard, and I can put multiple configurations in it that are a hotkey away, I really ought to see if WASD keycaps would fit it (I expect they would). 🙂

This isn't my personal keyboard, just a representative one I found online. Instead of the QWR "QWERTY" mode ID, mine reads SDR. Because why wouldn't it? 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Perifractic said:

Sounds like you have it handled. Good to hear.

Perifractic,

So...I'm actually on to my 2nd Commander X16 keyboard because the first one failed. Why? It got water spilled on it and I didn't know. Would have been fine but it was plugged in while still still holding a good deal of water in it. That's not covered under the warranty but I couldn't live without it so I bought a new one. Maybe I can donate my original to the Retro channel and you can do a repair video? 🙂

• Super Administrators
Perifractic,
So...I'm actually on to my 2nd Commander X16 keyboard because the first one failed. Why? It got water spilled on it and I didn't know. Would have been fine but it was plugged in while still still holding a good deal of water in it. That's not covered under the warranty but I couldn't live without it so I bought a new one. Maybe I can donate my original to the Retro channel and you can do a repair video? [emoji846]

Sorry to hear about the spill! I do appreciate the offer but that would come a couple of years down my list of upcoming videos I’m afraid so I will respectfully pass.

• Super Administrators
11 hours ago, Midcon113 said:

Maybe I can donate my original to the Retro channel and you can do a repair video?

The good news is you can salvage the keycaps... assuming you didn't already do so, you can move the keycaps to another 80% keyboard and have a backup keyboard or use a keyboard for the emulator. 

• 3 months later...