SlithyMatt

SECTIONALITY: Segmented Code for the X16

I just sent this text to myself (an iPhone) and to a coworker (an Android phone):
"Hey check out this funny GIF I saw" and had the phones read the text out loud.

Siri says it wrong.
Droid says it right.

Now I'm sad.

• Haha 2

On 4/27/2021 at 10:35 AM, Scott Robison said:

The best part of this is the last comment (at least, last as I read it): "The correct pronunciation is heef, with the gi pronounced as in Gila monster. Obvs." ๐Ÿ˜„

Well, the correct pronunciation of Gila Monster is "Heela", since it is named after a river in Arizona which was originally a river in Mexico, so it follows the Spanish pronunciation of "GI". "I am a Spanish speaker, so I pronounce it 'HEEF'!", that's a lovely way to settle the debate.

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, Scott Robison said:

The best part of this is the last comment (at least, last as I read it): "The correct pronunciation is heef, with the gi pronounced as in Gila monster. Obvs." ๐Ÿ˜„

I thought s/he was talking about pronouncing it with the G like in rouge (not rogue).ย  Sort of like "zheef", sounds very euro-french, I think it's my new preferred way.

Edited by x16tial

12 minutes ago, Ed Minchau said:

How about we do like other acronyms like FBI, CIA, NSA, etc, and pronunce it "gee-eye-eff".

Maybe the US government can buy whatever is left of Compuserve.ย ๐Ÿ˜†

So we have acronyms, an abbreviation taken from the initial letters of a phrase that is pronounced as a word. And there are initialisms,ย an abbreviation taken from the initial letters of a phrase but spoken as letters. GIF at least works for either pronunciation given the options for G and it has a good vowel/consonant arrangement.

My least favorite "acronym" is SQL. That should be an initialism. As long as people choose to pronounce it sequel, I think any pronunciation of GIF is acceptable.

As long as it's JIF. ๐Ÿ˜„

• Like 4

On 4/30/2021 at 12:55 AM, Scott Robison said:

So we have acronyms, an abbreviation taken from the initial letters of a phrase that is pronounced as a word. And there are initialisms,ย an abbreviation taken from the initial letters of a phrase but spoken as letters.

This is, of course, a distinction that is far more disrespected in use than respected.

• Like 2