Sign in to follow this  
SlithyMatt

New Z80 Assembly Series

See the video for the platform that will be the subject of my next assembly language tutorial series, programming for the other big 8-bit architecture.

• Like 5

I'm glad you didn't choose (or even consider) the TI-83/84 calculators as the series platform, as Texas Instruments is rapidly removing support for user assembly programs on their calculators. In fact, one of the reasons I discovered the X16 was because I was looking for an alternative to TI's graphing calculators for programming.

• Like 1

Thanks Matt!

I don't plan on writing code for the Z80 in the near future but I will follow the series with interest to see how it compares with the 65C02.

I've heard that Z80 vs 6502 is a bit like CISC vs RISC in the early days. I'm curious to see what it's actually about...

• Like 1

Just curious, do you have or plan to get the actual hardware?  Looks like the Kickstarter was a resounding success for the 2nd release, so much so, makes me wonder if any will actually be for sale.

I am considering getting a ZX Spectrum Next, maybe by the end of the series, depending on whether the series ends up being popular enough to justify the cost. If anybody has a NTSC Timex Sinclair 2068 they want to donate, I won't turn it down!

Looks like there's a MiSTer core, among other clones of the Next.  Most if not all being FPGA based, so those are also options.  And since the Next itself is FPGA, what's "real hardware" in this instance anyway?  😄   Either way, you've sparked my interest in this, the Z80 (and CP/M) never coalesced into something firmly on the radar, so to speak.  But its relationship to and influence on PC's that were to come is compelling.

• Like 1

I've not watched the video yet, so maybe you already have or already plan to, but a discussion of the differences between the 8080 & the Z80 would be interesting as part of the videos.

Then of course is the opportunity to leverage both 6502 & Z80 in on the C=128. 🙂

• Like 1