Stefan

Interesting blog post on Commodore's assemblers

You may have noticed that @Michael Steil published a couple of blog posts during May re: Commodore's assemblers.

If not, you find them here: https://www.pagetable.com/?p=1518

Michael has also published the source code of some of the assemblers, including the Commodore resident assembler for C64, on his Github account. The legal status of the source code is, however, not clear to me.

Very interesting reading. I used the Commodore resident macro assembler on C64 myself in the 80's, and as I remember it, it worked great.

• Like 3

Is ‘resident’ assembler different from the MAE aka Macro Assembler that Commodore sold at the time?

Thats what I grew up on and it worked well.  Eventually a ‘local’ gave me a copy of the assembler that he wrote (!!!).  At the time I was like WTF, who the hell (my age of 19) could actually write an assembler, but he did.  He was famous.

Having been spoiled by Borland Turbo* products since the late 80s, its hard to believe that we assembled multi-pass from Floppy to Floppy in those days.  It was only two clicks better than writing (punching) and reading from Digital PDP paper tape but at the time it felt like rocket science.

21 hours ago, EMwhite said:

Is ‘resident’ assembler different from the MAE aka Macro Assembler that Commodore sold at the time?

Thats what I grew up on and it worked well.  Eventually a ‘local’ gave me a copy of the assembler that he wrote (!!!).  At the time I was like WTF, who the hell (my age of 19) could actually write an assembler, but he did.  He was famous.

Having been spoiled by Borland Turbo* products since the late 80s, its hard to believe that we assembled multi-pass from Floppy to Floppy in those days.  It was only two clicks better than writing (punching) and reading from Digital PDP paper tape but at the time it felt like rocket science.

I think so.