Classic Video Game - Forum Guessing Game

I am almost sure I know this one!

If I am correct, you seem to like many of the same games I do! 😜

This one is also a favorite of mine, and the NES was my first exposure to it.

Company starting with a "T"?

Character starting and ending with the same letter?

Trying not to give it away. lol

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Strider said:

This one is also a favorite of mine, and the NES was my first exposure to it.

I preferred the arcade version - it was at my favorite pizza place, Godfather's. I got the NES version for Christmas, and at first I was disappointed by the changes in game style, but the game was very good and I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. The music caught my imagination, and I learned to play some snippets of the tunes on my keyboard.

The company does start with a T, but it doesn't end with a T though... You meant the CHARACTER's name starts and ends with the same letter. Yup. You're correct.

And I suspect we do like a lot of the same games - I really like Strider as well - never played the NES version, though, as it too is modified into an adventure format on NES. I cursed Sega's name for having a near-arcade-perfect version of it. (I was die-hard Nintendo)

Edited by ZeroByte
misunderstood your starting / ending letter thing
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

And I suspect we do like a lot of the same games - I really like Strider as well - never played the NES version, though, as it too is modified into an adventure format on NES. I cursed Sega's name for having a near-arcade-perfect version of it. (I was die-hard Nintendo)

Oh yeah, while Strider on the NES was the first I ever played, it actually became my least favorite in the series. The later much more accurate arcade port on Genesis was so much better! Still, I like the NES version, it's still a good game in it's own right.

I was stumped, and it's certainly not a title I happened to have played as a kid (though it looks like fun!).

So, once again, I did some websearching and I believe I've figured it out that way -  searching Japanese gaming sites for mentions of "Argus" (from the original clue) got me to アルゴスの戦士.  I still feel like googling these is sort of cheating, but since Strider already got it, and no one else seems to be guessing, I'll go ahead with it: in the West, that was released as "Rygar". Is that it?

• Like 1

Yes indeed. Rygar is correct.

Something about this game just captured my imagination. I’ve always wondered if there’s any significance to his turning the statues to face east at the end of each round. Did the devs have something in mind story-wise? Was it put in for technical reasons? I’ve never found any info about it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm only guessing....

But since Rygar was a dead warrior, risen to combat the evil facing his land. Maybe the east facing statues was a religious thing since it's a common practice in different religions when praying, because that's the direction where the Garden of Eden was said to have been planted. So I figured the devs used that direction becasue of that real world significance and would be recognized, perhaps as a symbol of hope or prosperity.

Like I said though, that's only my own personal guess. I have never read anything about that. 😛

Or.... it could have just been nothing at all and just done for the sake of direction or some other trivial thing, such as making a cool "door" between levels.. haha

Edit: Oh, and I changed my profile photo to better reflect my favorite console version of Strider. lol

Edited by Strider

Okay, I've got one for you all to guess.

But first, a bit of personal news: I got married earlier this week! (Yes, for the first time; yes at this age; no we're not on a honeymoon right now, we'll do that later.)

With that in mind, I'll have you guess a game that includes a wedding scene.

Quite a few games include wedding scenes, often humorous or disastrous.  The one I'm thinking of is both: very humorous, and it ends in disaster for most of the characters involved.  (Thankfully my wedding was neither!)

The game was originally released for DOS,  and was only ported to Windows and to a few consoles well over a decade later, when it was already a "classic".

As we do here, I'll add more clues if no one guesses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SlithyMatt said:

Congrats! Hopefully it goes better for you than.... Leisure Suit Larry?

Hahaha, that may well fit the criteria as described, but it wasn't the one I was thinking of.  I've actually never played any of that series, so I didn't know there was a wedding scene.

Due to that excellent guess though, I'll give another clue: you are in the right genre.

12 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

Secret of Monkey Island?

Indeed! 

It's one of those "the villain is trying to marry the heroine" weddings, and the player character is supposed to break it up.  Of course, in this case, it was actually part of the heroine's plan all along and the player never should have interfered; that's part of the humor.

That was too easy, it seems. 

Monkey Island came out in 1990.  Most of the wedding scenes I could think of off the top of my head came from the '90s. 

• Final Fantasy VI (1994) for the SNES had a wedding scene infiltrated by one of the main characters, but this in turn was only part of an opera and not an actual wedding. 
  • WildARMs (1996), a JRPG for the PlayStation, also had a wedding on a boat in which one of the playable characters participates as part of a sneaky tactic. 
  • Later still (2000) but still for the PlayStation, Final Fantasy IX had a ridiculous wedding scene involving several pairs of main characters, again with ulterior motives.

There are also a number of games where the main characters have a wedding in the ending scene (including Chrono Trigger, depending on the ending the player goes for), but these aren't as fun as the ones you get to play through. 

If anyone can think of any 8-bit-era or 1980s games with a wedding scene, please let me know!

• Like 1

Well, Ken's ending in Street Fighter 2's has him getting married.

The central plot point of the laserdisc game "Cliff Hanger" (made from the Anime series, Lupin) is that you need to stop the princess from being forced to marry the villain. ("a man she cannot stand")

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 8:53 AM, John Chow Seymour said:

If anyone can think of any 8-bit-era or 1980s games with a wedding scene, please let me know!

Alas, the best I could come up on my own with were 1990s games or later. To supplement your list:

• Dragon Quest V (1992), the game protagonist marries one of three different women (the player chooses which).
  • Super Mario RPG (1996), an antagonist named Booster attempts to marry Princess Toadstool. The ceremony is broken up at the last second.
  • Final Fantasy X (2001), Summoner Yuna agrees to marry Seymour Guado, but it turns out to be a ruse that goes wrong and she is forced to flee from the ceremony at the last second.

And the closest a quick internet search could get me was Phantasy Star III (1990), where the main character can marry one of two women in the game.

Edited by StephenHorn
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like we need a new game to guess!

This one is going to hard to do without giving it away as well, it's a popular title.

1.) Like many games of the 1980's, it got it start in the arcades and was ported to console the next year.

2.) Though popular in arcades, it was it's console release that really brought it into the spotlight.

3.) For a long time, it was considered one of the best in it's genre, if not the best.

4.) It spawned many popular sequels across many platforms, as late as 2019. In one such sequel on a 16-bit platform, in a break from the norm, the Japanese version was actually made to be easier than it's western counterpart. Normally, games were made easier for western audiences. For it's European release however, the game was altered even more, this time to reduce it's violence in one very specific area of gameplay.

5.) Lastly, this game popularized a “feature” that actually got it's start in another very popular side-scrolling shooter earlier, but became well known after it was also used in this game. So much so that at first, this “feature” was named after this game. Later however it was changed to reflect the developer as it started to appear in many other games, over 100 in fact, both within this developers library and outside. Other versions of this "feature" had been around for some time in other games, but this one became one of the most well known after this title.

Good luck!

Fun fact: the Konami Code detection routine exits "true" when the A is detected. I forget the Youtuber's name, but he does videos in a series "behind the code" where he really digs deep into the source routines for things like Ninja Gaiden's jump, etc. He did one on the Konami Code.

• Like 2

See.. WAY too easy. 😜

contra.jpg.4176a75ecc7796e4f77dc250730a650b.jpg

The title they made "easier" for Japan was Contra: Hard Corps for the Mega Drive. They added hit points, you can get hit 3 times before losing a life. They also added infinite continues, unlike the games western versions.

In Europe, Contra was renamed "Probotector" and all of the people were replaced with robots in order to remove any "human on human" violence. The story was altered to match as well.

The Konami Code we know today started off in Gradius, but was popularized in Contra, and started it's life as the "Contra Code".

Time to think of a new game. 😆

Okay here's one:

This is another run-n-gun style action game which began as an arcade title but is much more well-known for its NES version. Like many NES titles, the home version saw many changes from the original arcade format which take into account the fact that this is a home game for enjoyment, rather than an experience designed to gobble quarters. The core gameplay mechanic was kept but expanded upon with "rpg-like" elements done via permanent upgrades obtainable through the course of gameplay.

The NES title has you rescue the arcade version's player character.
The game is noteworthy among platforming / run-and-gun games in that jumping is not a gameplay mechanic.
The Japanese version of the game contains a story line and imagery that was deemed too controversial for western markets, so this content was mostly removed from the western releases, being replaced by thinly-veiled fictional names and imagery which stronly evoked the original subject without naming it explicitly.
The game's final sequence contains a gory cinematic sequence which was relatively shocking at the time, especially for a Nintendo platform.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Chow Seymour said:

What was the Japanese storyline like? The 'too controversial' one.

Basically, the original story is about a Neo-Nazi nation trying to revive Adolf Hitler. For the English versions most all references, names, and images related to Nazis were removed and/or altered. Though the Nazi look of the characters stayed. It was still obvious what they meant.

bc1.thumb.jpg.78ccdc2ed41464bed4c080103bad4134.jpg

One good thing that stayed in the game, the gory part @ZeroByte was referring to, is Hitler's head exploding during the final sequence of the game.

bc2.jpg.cc7dc3035f991fd374d6efca5b908bd2.jpg

Funny they thought Neo-Nazi's had to be removed, but Hitler's (Master-D in the English version) head exploding, all good. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1