Classic Video Game - Forum Guessing Game

Here's something a little different.

I sometimes watch this one comedy/cartooning YouTube channel called "Drawfee" (Like "Coffee" but with drawing, because they used to only stream in the mornings before work).  Their humor is sometimes a little Millennial for me (references I don't get, mostly) but it's usually fun.

Anyway! Last week they did a challenge based on old video game box art. One of them would describe the original box art, and another one had to draw it without seeing the original, just based on the description.

So we could borrow their drawings for our own little forum game here.  I'll show you three of their resulting drawings, and we'll see if the forum can get what the original game was.

They actually did four drawings - the one I left out was too obvious, it's everyone's go-to example of terrible game box art, the North American release of Mega Man.

If you want to watch the original, it's here.  (Spoilers for the answers, of course).

2021-09-01 (A).png

2021-09-01 (B).png

2021-09-01 (C).png

• Like 2

Keeping the NES theme going.

1. This game was based on a popular licensed IP, but it's story was actually unrelated to that IP. There was an arcade version as well, but it was also a completely different game, even though it shared the same name and IP.

2. The arcade version of the game got generally good reviews, but it's NES counterpart did not fare nearly as well, with mostly mediocre and poor reviews. It was lumped into a "clone" category as many games of it's type did back then.

3. It wasn't until much later, in retrospect, that the game got some overdue notoriety. Featuring a unique colorful graphic style that changes when in battle, fun enemies and bosses, and a good soundtrack. Many people found the overall game to be quite enjoyable.

4. You fight with both a sword and magic, and can even transform yourself. The game is actually quite long, but in a good way. You defiantly got your monies worth out of it.

To this day it's one of my many favorites, as is the IP it was based on.😁

• Like 1

I played through both the arcade and NES versions recently, and watched the movie. Still one of my favorite fantasy adventure films, and one of the "best of the 80's" in my opinion. So many good films of that type back then.

Even though the arcade and NES versions are vastly different in every aspect, I still like both. The arcade follows the film, looks great, and is a lot of fun. The NES really only uses the characters from the film, but is a fun RPG adventure title in it's own right.

I never played the Amiga version back then, I only tried it out recently, and yeah... awful! 😆

Ohhhhhh, I finally got it.  It took me way too long, but it was @kelli217's trochaic tetrameter clue that finally turned the lightbulb on.

Since Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers never had a movie (as far as I know), it must be...

teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2xSGFS.png

Just kidding of course. As you likely know, I got that from xkcd, which also helped with the trochee clue.

The only thing that's throwing me off is...

On 9/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, Strider said:

You fight with both a sword and magic, and can even transform yourself.

I never played any TMNT video game, but I don't recall any magic in the MNT universe, or transformations. 

So maybe I haven't guessed correctly!

Edited by John Chow Seymour
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, Strider said:

Keeping the NES theme going.

1. This game was based on a popular licensed IP, but it's story was actually unrelated to that IP. There was an arcade version as well, but it was also a completely different game, even though it shared the same name and IP.

2. The arcade version of the game got generally good reviews, but it's NES counterpart did not fare nearly as well, with mostly mediocre and poor reviews. It was lumped into a "clone" category as many games of it's type did back then.

3. It wasn't until much later, in retrospect, that the game got some overdue notoriety. Featuring a unique colorful graphic style that changes when in battle, fun enemies and bosses, and a good soundtrack. Many people found the overall game to be quite enjoyable.

4. You fight with both a sword and magic, and can even transform yourself. The game is actually quite long, but in a good way. You defiantly got your monies worth out of it.

To this day it's one of my many favorites, as is the IP it was based on.😁

Willow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZeroByte said:

Ahh! That was the correct answer!

(or at least I'm 99.9999% sure it is - obviously Strider may say I'm wrong too - lol)

That .0001% chance failed to prove you wrong this day!

2362610-nes_willow.jpg.312d9401c3f7bad4562d7a2d7da243d6.jpg

Excellent film in my humble opinion. George Lucas and Ron Howard did a great job as always. I actually plays the NES game before it showed up in my local arcade. I had a blast playing it back then, and again recently. Once I seen the arcade version, it ate a lot of my quarters. It's sad many of the ports to other platforms were so poor for just a great IP.

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1