MOO Game ideas/Sprites and more

Travis Bryant moore

Question

Anyone going to make anything like a MOO clone for this machine? If not okay. But here was what I was thinking the star map would just be one page or room. A flat map of stars, red, blue, yellow, white, black holes, neutron stars, brown dwarfs, and dwarf stars being smaller. Optional warp lanes, so you can turn them on and off. And the stars could be sprites that are small medium.larger ones would be black holes. Nebula would be a layer or sprite that is opaque that hides a stare from computer players. The ships would be sprites that would land near a star in the upper right corner of star spites. Moving into a star system takes you into another room where you go into the system map. The system map is a larger star sprite and small circles drawn around it. Red rings have a planet sprite over them mean that they are too hot. Green circles with a planet means it is in a habitable zone. Blue circles around a star indicate that tit is too cold. Asteroid belts would be a grey ring. You can research outpost to build outpost on all areas. But colonies can only be built on green habitable zone worlds. Unless you research volcanic, tundra, and jungle as well as toxic and radiated world colonization. Clicking on a planet moves your ship sprite to the planet from the corner of the screen to an orbit around the planet sprite of your choice. If you have researched the right tech you can build a colony with a colonizers. Ship sprites are just representations. On planet view you have Eco, Mining and Research bars. These increase as you research new technologies and assign a colonist spite to the bar to increase production in the planet view. And colony improvements can be built in planet view. But also Wealth, research, and production can be built along with ships if you have a star port. Ship design can be don on the star map bar where you click on a list of ship types. You can select armor or parts though a list similar to windows. And the high lighted parts on the main list show up as what is selected when you produce a ship. Turns divide the years. As new research is completed you select a new technology from a screen that list what technologies to research and how many RP it cost. And it goes on like this but it is a start. In battle you can either have turn based combat Or instantly completed based on value points of the fleets. The goal is to just have something playable. ???

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, x16tial said:

That is quite the block of text you have there.   I'm not familiar, what is MOO?

Most likely, he is referring to "Master of Orion", a turn-based 4X game (genre named from the four 'X's in "Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate", the gameplay pillars of the genre). Think of it as being like "Sid Meier's Civilizations", but in space. MOO was a hit in the mid 90s, as was its sequel, but after MOO3 arrived to very mixed reviews and modest sales, the series went dead. Atari later sold the IP to Wargaming, and a reboot "Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars" was released in 2016, but hasn't really made waves -- actually, I only just read about the latest entry while Googling to double-check my memory. It surprised me because I like 4X games and sci-fi and have tried to keep aware of new titles in that area.

• Like 2

I played a ton of Master of Orion and MOO2. Same with other 4X games (Master of Magic, Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Dune II, Dune 2000, Command & Conquer, Colonization, Civ I and up). Great genre if done right.

A MOO style game with trade (5X - ... +Exchange) and non hostile NPC races built in would be cool as well. Kind of like the old Starflight game or Trade Wars 2002 BBS game.

Edited by codewar65
  • Like 1

• Super Administrators

Masters Of Orion is known as a "4X" game: Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate - and refers to the kind of strategy games where you build empires and hope to eventually conquer the galaxy (or the Earth). It's best to either spell out the name or call games like Orion 4X games.

MOO is also the acronym for "Multiuser Object Oriented" game, as implemented by LambdaMoo. A MOO is basically a user-programmable MUD (Multi-User Dungeon), and is a whole class of programming/operating system itself. So when someone says "MOO" around me, I'm thinking of text based multi-user online games, not 4X games.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TomXP411 said:

MOO is also the acronym for "Multiuser Object Oriented" game, as implemented by LambdaMoo. A MOO is basically a user-programmable MUD (Multi-User Dungeon), and is a whole class of programming/operating system itself. So when someone says "MOO" around me, I'm thinking of text based multi-user online games, not 4X games.

Huh. I'm familiar with MUDs (and have fond memories of SWMud, in particular), but was unfamiliar with LambdaMoo and the alternative acronym it uses. Pretty cool.

58 minutes ago, codewar65 said:

Same with other 4X games (Master of Magic, Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Dune II, Dune 2000, Command & Conquer, Colonization, Civ I and up).

Well... there have been a small handful of games that have advertised themselves as "real-time 4X" games, such as Stellaris or Sins of a Solar Empire. But games like Warcraft, Warcraft 2, and Command & Conquer are typically considered "real-time strategy" games, since they don't focus heavily on exploration and expansion. A map in those games is preset, with known base locations and perhaps natural expansions, instead of games like Civ which are procedurally-generated and require you to explore, improvise, and make do with the conditions you find yourself in. But it's true that the RTS and 4X/5X genres do have titles which blur the line, since moving to real-time can make the military, macro/micro strategies very similar to each other.

• Super Administrators
19 minutes ago, StephenHorn said:

Well... there have been a small handful of games that have advertised themselves as "real-time 4X" games, such as Stellaris or Sins of a Solar Empire. But games like Warcraft, Warcraft 2, and Command & Conquer are typically considered "real-time strategy" games, since they don't focus heavily on exploration and expansion.

Agreed. RTS games like Dune 2000, C&C, Starcraft and Warcraft don't belong in the same category as Masters Of Orion, Civilzation, or Stellaris. They may look similar on the surface, but the later are games of long term strategy and diplomacy. An entire game of C&C is just one click of the mouse in Civilization.

To put this another way:
Chess and Risk are both strategy games, but a chess game is to C&C what Risk is to Masters Of Orion. 

Edited by TomXP411
  • Like 1