Compile Emulator on Windows

Yazwho

Question

Has anyone managed to compile the emulator on windows? If so do you want to share roughly how it was accomplished?

There are a few issues that I can see;

• Setup of an environment to compile it. (Use VS or VSC?) And other prerequisites (libraries - mwing?)
  • Setup X16 specific bits like the ROMs.
  • Locate and change all directory specific code. (I see a few hard coded paths)
  • Actually build it. (nmake, cl.exe??)

Anything else? Is there a resource out there that can help? Couldn't find anything here or in the project's github.

6 answers to this question

I'm doing it using MSYS2 currently.  From what I remember, it only required some changes to the Makefile. In MSYS, you'll have to install mingw and SDL2, yes.  The ROMs aren't required for building the emulator.  I think the other people that compile it on Windows have a setup with VS.

I found the post about using VS2019 here:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ender said:

I'm doing it using MSYS2 currently.  From what I remember, it only required some changes to the Makefile. In MSYS, you'll have to install mingw and SDL2, yes.  The ROMs aren't required for building the emulator.  I think the other people that compile it on Windows have a setup with VS.

Great, certainly gives me a direction to head in! Thanks!

13 hours ago, Lorin Millsap said:

And the precompiled executable on the website doesn’t work because?

Because that's version R38. If you want to develop for the upcoming R39, then you need to compile it yourself (or get it from someone else).

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 9:57 AM, Lorin Millsap said:

And the precompiled executable on the website doesn’t work because?

I compiled R39 for Windows (and the ROMs for all platforms). Grab it at the link above. 

I don't know why Michael hasn't updated the GitHub with the latest release, yet.

Edited by TomXP411
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TomXP411 said:

. I don't know why Michael hasn't updated the GitHub with the latest release, yet.

It seems like activity on the repo has gone on pause in general this last month.   My surmise is that they put Michael on pause because they're at a cross-roads of some kind on the hardware.   Just looking at the FAQ, there's the open question of what they come down with on sound (keep the quantity limited vintage chip or just rely on the VERA), and of course, hardware is hard.   Its always possible they've uncovered a wrinkle they need to work out; after all, getting ready for a hardware beta is no small thing.    

Patience is the order of the day, I'd think.   Its a good team and if they are holding off on R39 emulator release we should assume its for a good reason.