Ed Minchau

new game: Asteroid Commander

Posted (edited)

I've been noodling this game idea in my head for several years, and finally decided to do it on the Commander X-16.  This isn't in a playable format yet; I spent several months just generating the lookup tables for it, and this is the first time I've had anything at all to show.  I'm gong to use this thread to post updates and releases as progress happens.

Asteroid Commander will be a game sort of like SimCity, in space, with a storyline.  There's no sound in this video.

The asteroid is procedurally generated, and the image is raytraced - for certain very limited definitions of raytracing.  The shadows are very rough right now and I can see I have a bit of work to do on the ray maps, but the toughest part of the game engine is basically done.

Edited by Ed Minchau
  • Like 10

I love the look!  And of course I like the idea of a new sim game.

4 hours ago, rje said:

I love the look!  And of course I like the idea of a new sim game.

Thanks, but it's about to look much better, as I'm reworking the ray maps. This is just the medium view, there will also be a closeup view and a far-out view. And at the rate I'm going it'll take me a year to finish this.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ed Minchau said:

Thanks, but it's about to look much better, as I'm reworking the ray maps. This is just the medium view, there will also be a closeup view and a far-out view. And at the rate I'm going it'll take me a year to finish this.

All of my hobby projects take awhile, and most of them don't get finished.  

So how do you want the sim to work?  

Oooh, I just had a thought that it could be combined with a space-station-building game. 

Since it's an asteroid colony, you'd have

• support buildings (power and life support)
  • science buildings (for contracts),
  • revenue buildings (mines, refineries, fabs?),
  • and habitats...

hmmm this could be really fun.  I don't want to kitchen sink it, but I imagine personnel would have to transfer in and out via a shuttle service (perhaps behind the scenes).  That would enforce a population "phase" into the game that could be interesting (or not).

Edited by rje

Yeah, the far-out view is for stuff orbiting the asteroid.  I don't think I'll get quite so  detailed as to have the player micromanaging shuttles or other vehicles.  The player will mostly be deciding what buildings to place or upgrade and trading with other locations in the solar system.  As far as the asteroid population, they're part of the storyline (which will be optional; the player can ignore the story and just be Asteroid Mogul).

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Ed Minchau said:

I don't think I'll get quite so  detailed as to have the player micromanaging shuttles or other vehicles.

Agreed - I wasn't suggesting a kitchen sink, and while I like "build-it" simulations, I don't like "micromanage it" simulations so much.

The player will mostly be deciding what buildings to place or upgrade and trading with other locations in the solar system.  As far as the asteroid population, they're part of the storyline (which will be optional; the player can ignore the story and just be Asteroid Mogul).

YES.  This sounds like it hits the sweet spot for me.

Edited by rje

So I finally found the bug that was glitching the display on the outside edge of the asteroid, missing a single INC command.  I also slightly increased the speed of the display. The asteroid won't be spinning this fast in the game, I just needed to do this for the test.  I've also tweaked the terrain primitives a bit, and now I'm starting to see craters on the surface. This is particularly noticeable on the low areas on the other side of this particular asteroid, and with a little more tweaking I should have it showing craters on the high areas too.  After I'm satisfied with the look of the asteroid, I'll start on the other display elements and bring in the mouse.  You'll be able to click on the direction arrows in the middle to navigate around the asteroid and rotate your view.  The next step after that is to start displaying text, and then I'll work on the buildings and the background stars and sun.

Edited by Ed Minchau