Exabyte

Where do I get started?

Question

I have been wanting to create some games for a while now and haven't really liked anything, modern. I simply need a good direction to go so I can learn what I need to start up on this game project I've had brewing in my head for about five or six years now. hALP??!

3 answers to this question

I guess is depends on what kind of game you're thinking about, and what its requirements will be.

Also, if this is your first software project on the X16, it definitely does help to start from existing projects, as @Perifrantic linked. (That's probably going to be the most robust starting point right now, because the platform is still very new and changing, and we're all only working on our spare time.)

If you're thinking something more action-platformy, C or assembly are probably the way to go, but that's going to be a rough road in any event. @SlithyMatt has created a full game already, which is amazing, and he's made the source code available on GitHub. If you're at least comfortable with 6502 assembly, you could learn a lot from their code.

• Like 3

Please, by all means, take full use of my code. It's why I put it up on GitHub with GPL3 licenses, to maximize reuse. If you are scared of coding in BASIC or assembly, you don't have to use either with XCI: https://github.com/SlithyMatt/x16-xci

I made a whole video series about how you can make your own game, holding your hand through the whole process:

• Like 3