BASIC: Converting/Optimizing a simple BASIC program from another Commodore platform to the X16...

It is interesting, and not surprising at all! Transcendental functions take a lot more computational power than any algebraic expression.

A few years ago I tried submitting an obfuscated C program to ioccc.org. I didn't try to do any transcendentals with it, but I did try to replace all math with bit operations. It would be "interesting" to create a complete library of functions that performed all math & logic (bit manipulation, adds, subtracts, multiplies, divides, exponentiation, transcendentals) in terms of simple universal gates like nand or nor.

Not terribly useful from a software development perspective, but interesting.

1 hour ago, Scott Robison said:

t would be "interesting" to create a complete library of functions that performed all math & logic (bit manipulation, adds, subtracts, multiplies, divides, exponentiation, transcendentals) in terms of simple universal gates like nand or nor.

That would be pretty rough.   I make typos enough that I cringe to think of debugging that.