Suggestions for Graphics Editor

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent graphics editor for Windows? Something that can handle the 12bit colours and an indexed palette that we need?

Paint.Net is about as good as I've found, but maybe there is something considerably better that everyone is using?

Is the answer to spin up Deluxe Paint 4 in an emulator?!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SlithyMatt said:

I use Gimp, and that works just fine on any desktop platform.

I've never got on well with the gimp. Drawing bitmaps doesn't seem to be its forte.

I'd have thought there would be some editors for what the kids nowdays call 'Pixel Art'..?

I primarily used Aseprite for making Flappy Bird. It's a great tool, and then I used a python script that converts indexed PNG files into VERA tile data.

There's a Aseprite plugin in the downloads area here that quantizes the active color palette to 12 bit RGB, which ensures that your colors come out looking the same.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Yazwho said:

Lol, what? Is that the modern day equivalent of graph paper for designing sprites?

Yep. Sort of. I can set custom colors for the background of cells, set a Style to that color, and then use that Style by reference, i.e.:

J30=T(STYLE("C4"&J14))

Whatever value is in J14 (a hex digit from 0 to F) becomes the color displayed in J30 (so if J14 contains 3, the style displayed will be style C43).

This is actually much better than graph paper, because I can make all sorts of changes, no problem. I even have the spreadsheet set up to generate a BASIC program, so once I make all my changes I just copy one sheet to the clipboard and paste it into the Commander X16 emulator. 

edited to add: the world's most popular Functional Programming language isn't Haskell, it's Excel.

Edited by Ed Minchau
  • Like 2

If you're using an editor with a hexadecimal color entry box, an easy way to ensure that a particular color will display properly on the X16 is to look at the contents of this box. If each pair of hexadecimal digits is the same (e.g. 00dd55), the color can be represented in 12-bit RGB.

3 minutes ago, Elektron72 said:

If you're using an editor with a hexadecimal color entry box, an easy way to ensure that a particular color will display properly on the X16 is to look at the contents of this box. If each pair of hexadecimal digits is the same (e.g. 00dd55), the color can be represented in 12-bit RGB.

And even if they aren't the same, you can probably round each pair to the nearest XX value and be close enough (useful when converting from an alien source to X16).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Robison said:

And even if they aren't the same, you can probably round each pair to the nearest XX value and be close enough (useful when converting from an alien source to X16).

Mind you, I am color blind, so my concept of what is "close enough" might be very different than people with normal color perception. 🙂

I've used Paint Shop Pro 5 for ~18 years, and I find it is still perfect for my needs.  As long as I use my wife's Windows machine 😕

Edited by rje
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

Mind you, I am color blind, so my concept of what is "close enough" might be very different than people with normal color perception. 🙂

You can just let the math do that for you. Any value in the range 0-255 is 8 or less away from a multiple of 17.

Or, avoid the problem by setting the Red value to 0 across your palette and just use the remaining 256 combinations of green and blue.