x16tial

Insane 1541 demo. Yes. A demo. Running on a 1541 drive.

When you look at the TIA (atari VCS video chip) and think to yourself: that sure is a lot of features I don't need. I'll just use a 6522 instead.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The X16 has a IEC compatible (Commodore) disk drive port. Would it be possible to also send video from this commodore serial bus on the X16? That means you could have an extra screen to the X16.

Edited by mobluse

25 minutes ago, mobluse said:

The X16 has a IEC compatible (Commodore) disk drive port. Would it be possible to also send video from this commodore serial bus on the X16? That means you could have an extra screen to the X16.

It probably would be possible, but if it is as blocky as the demo was, it doesn't seem like it would be a particularly useful feature. A demo of course just has to be cool, not useful.

I think a second video output would be an awesome feature to add to the system in the form of an add on card.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:12 PM, desertfish said:

Doesn't sound healthy for the drive 🙂

it's not.  That drive is 'toast'.  Years ago, there was the famous "Bicycle built for two" song that was downloaded into the 1541 to amaze family and friends.  And it was short.  

Aside from being supremely innovative, freespin must be the master of disk head alignment.

That was a pretty wicked "demo"!

We've all seen the other projects over the years where people hooked up several floppy drives up to a computer and had them play different popular tunes. However, I honestly never thought of a 1541, or any other drive like it, in that same way. Nor to have anything running on the drives hardware instead of a computer.

I mean, it makes sense now that I have seen that video, those drives were basically computers in and of themselves. Just for someone to take the time to figure it out and actually do it.... really cool!

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I mean, it makes sense now that I have seen that video, those drives were basically computers in and of themselves. Just for someone to take the time to figure it out and actually do it.... really cool!

That's how I feel when I hear about / see very timing sensitive undocumented features of the VIC-II.

• Like 1