What video editor do you use for making youtube movies? (in 2021)

Hi!

I am about to swap from on video editor program to another, and have noticed some of you have you tube channels and make pretty good looking videos there on commander x16 related topics.

So I wonder what do you recommend for software?

Right now I am using Flowblade on Linux, and I am satisfied with it, but my main computer is running windows, and is much faster, so I am thinking of moving to a Windows video editor.
I tried Pinacle Studio on windows some long time ago, and was pretty happy with it, but this was many years ago. 

What software for video editing are fellow X16'er (with you tube channels) using?

/CKs

Well, I don't know if the single X16 video I made counts as "good-looking" ... I bet rather not.
Anyway, I use Blender as a video editor. It's free, open source, and quite powerful. Of course, its primary purpose is 3D modelling and animation, but from my limited perspective, it is a capable video editor, too.
I know a lot of people use DaVinci Resolve, which is a dedicated video editor and has also a feature-rich free version.

• Like 1

There are really only 3 choices for Windows, if you want a professional editing environment:

Vegas has a free evaluation period, so I'd try that first. If you have questions about it - I use it regularly.

• Like 1

Pre-YouTube, I have used Final Cut Pro (for Mac) and Adobe Premiere (for Windows), but now I stick to my guns and produce content using only Free Open-Source Software, including my host OS: Ubuntu Linux 20 LTS. I used to use OpenEdit, but it was not very dependable, and I've had much better results using Kdenlive, which comes with the Ubuntu Studio distro. I wouldn't want to make a feature film with it, but it's Good Enough For YouTube™️.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SlithyMatt said:

Pre-YouTube, I have used Final Cut Pro (for Mac) and Adobe Premiere (for Windows), but now I stick to my guns and produce content using only Free Open-Source Software, including my host OS: Ubuntu Linux 20 LTS. I used to use OpenEdit, but it was not very dependable, and I've had much better results using Kdenlive, which comes with the Ubuntu Studio distro. I wouldn't want to make a feature film with it, but it's Good Enough For YouTube™️.

I don't do YouTube, but I did basically the same thing, I went open-source and ended up on Kdenlive, now using the Windows standalone version. So far so good. Works for my limited editing needs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Perifractic said:

FCPX on Mac here.

Final Cut Pro is a great choice, for Mac users. It's my favorite editor, actually.

I just wish Macs didn't cost 3x as much as the same hardware in a PC. 

Edited by TomXP411
  • Like 1

Thus far, I've used OBS Studio to record my X16 demos, but that's not an editor. I've also started to wonder what's a good tool for editing videos on Lee-nux, as it would be good to record the overall session in OBS and then go splice in slides, make cuts, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks all, Mac or Linux is not an option for me right now.  I have them both, but they're not having the CPU/Memory as my windows PC has.

@ZeroByte for Linux I worked with flowblade.  It does crash now and then, but not often enough to be a nuisance.  But it has many features, and filters.  Not so many transitions though.  Other than that on Linux I've seen Kdenlive being compared to flowblade.

Not sure which to go for yet though, I don't like the subscription based softwares too much (mostly out of principle I think, but still)..  No keen for Adobe, if I do Adobe, I'll do it on my Mac, not my Windows, Adobe seems to me to be better on Mac... (but that's just a feeling so far)

Probably I will be trying out in the weekend some of the alternatives mentioned 🙂

• Like 3

Since I don't fool w/Linux and I'm not up for paying a subscription fee monthly, I've been considering Adobe Elements.  All I really want is the ability to do multi-camera and picture-in-picture.  I bought Final Cut Pro so many years ago, I doubt they will offer me any type of upgrade (it was with my Mac Pro Early 2008).  Is there anything else Mac that is worthy considering the two requirements I have above (PIP and Multi-Camera)?

Thanks

10 hours ago, EMwhite said:

Since I don't fool w/Linux and I'm not up for paying a subscription fee monthly, I've been considering Adobe Elements.  All I really want is the ability to do multi-camera and picture-in-picture.  I bought Final Cut Pro so many years ago, I doubt they will offer me any type of upgrade (it was with my Mac Pro Early 2008).  Is there anything else Mac that is worthy considering the two requirements I have above (PIP and Multi-Camera)?

Thanks

FCPX definitely does multi-camera and overlays, though. In fact, I really like the multi-camera tool - you can link several shots as a single group, then switch between cameras in that group in real time as you preview the video. You obviously can also do multi-cam shots the traditional way (by cutting up the clips), but the multi-cam tool avoids a lot of cutting, clipping, and eventually blowing everything up when you accidentally slide a clip as you're cutting things.

Here are some alternatives, via Gizmodo:

https://gizmodo.com/6-free-final-cut-pro-alternatives-for-making-your-own-m-1843944879

I think FCP is $300, so yeah - not the cheapest tool. FCPX came out in 2011. So if you paid for it any time in the last 10 years, you may find you can still download the latest copy.

This is one thing I definitely appreciate about this product: it's not SAAS like Adobe, it doesn't nag like Magix (Vegas Home Video), and 10 years of free upgrades is a pretty good deal, for the price. You'd have spent far more money on any other product, just keeping up to date over that time span.

Edited by TomXP411
  • Like 1

That’s great feedback, thank you.

Unless you are a professional, none of the recurring-fee based subscriptions make sense to me but 10 years of upgrades for $300 sounds reasonable.

Probably not supported on my 8 core circa 2008 MacPro so it will be a matter of whether  or not it will run well enough on a 3 yr old MacBook Pro w 16GB.  Any thoughts on that?  (It’s just for 30 min YouTube clips).

On 8/13/2021 at 1:30 PM, EMwhite said:

That’s great feedback, thank you.

Unless you are a professional, none of the recurring-fee based subscriptions make sense to me but 10 years of upgrades for $300 sounds reasonable.

Probably not supported on my 8 core circa 2008 MacPro so it will be a matter of whether  or not it will run well enough on a 3 yr old MacBook Pro w 16GB.  Any thoughts on that?  (It’s just for 30 min YouTube clips).

It ought to work fine. I think the iMac I bought to run FCP is about 4 years old now. As long as your Macbook can run the latest MacOS, it should be able to run FCP. And 16GB of RAM should be fine - although I run 32GB now, just on general principle.

Ok, I think I came to a bit of a conclusion.

I was thinking what does disturb me the most on Video editing on Linux.   Most of it is actually long videos, and video capture.
Long videos, actually I don't do so much... And video capture is a different program alltogether.

So maybe Flowblade on Linux is fine for now.  It works, it does the job.  Some long videos are a bit tedious to edit, but most of my videos are not that long.
What I will swap though, is using my Windows PC for footage capturing. Since the software I found there in my arch Linux, needs more CPU then my Linux Laptop can muster.

I found out the GameBar in Windows11 is pretty cool.

That said, I might still swap the editing of videos themselves at a later date.
But probably I want to have clear to myself exactly what features I am looking for, since right now in my head it's more or less "Flowblade, but on Windows" 🙂

Thanks for the inputs so far guys!

• Like 1

I haven't made any X16 videos, but the videos I do have on YouTube were edited together with CyberLink PowerDirector.  It's cheap, stable, and does all the basic things I need to do. 

I don't use transitions other than hard cuts or basic fades, so I can't comment on that aspect of the software.  I will say adjusting audio levels is squidgey and I wish that that part of the software were better designed, but it's never kept me from doing what I wanted to do. For just moving cuts around, overlaying audio, inserting images (made in other software), overlaying text/captions, and exporting to a variety of formats, it's been reliable.  Hardly "a joy to use," but problem-free.