Jump to content
StephenHorn

New demo uploaded: x16-spiral

Recommended Posts

Can't tell if the web emulator is successfully loading the .seq files that this depends on, but I'm guessing not because this definitely runs better on when you unpack the files into the emulator directory and run it locally. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.seq files are being loaded now, they weren't whitelisted before (gotta take security seriously). Still doesn't seem to do any spiral movements though. Is the latest version of the emulator needed for it to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested it on vanilla r37 by unpacking the r37 zip into a folder, unpacking my zip into that folder, then running the emulator, doing LOAD"X16-SPIRAL.PRG" and then RUN. Since it doesn't depend on any particular bugs (or bugfixes) or optimizations, it should work just fine on the r37-optimizations branch as well. Is there any way to open the emulator's debugger so the program can be stepped through and memory inspected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the emulator on this site was already the latest version, but I've updated it with a fresh download, just to be sure. Same as before, so it seems to be an issue with the web version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StephenHorn said:

I tested it on vanilla r37 by unpacking the r37 zip into a folder, unpacking my zip into that folder, then running the emulator, doing LOAD"X16-SPIRAL.PRG" and then RUN. Since it doesn't depend on any particular bugs (or bugfixes) or optimizations, it should work just fine on the r37-optimizations branch as well. Is there any way to open the emulator's debugger so the program can be stepped through and memory inspected?

That's something I can add to the web emulator. Would that be accomplished by passing  '-debug' to the emulator during startup, or would anything additional need to be done ?

For testing you could bring up the javascript console, go to the main.js sources and put a breakpoint on line 67 ( after var emuArguments are defined. then reload (f5 or reload icon the page) Once it breaks, you could paste "emuArguments.push('-debug')" into the javascript console window and then continue execution. I will  run the emulator with out the optimizations, and see if it's related to those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there a chance it could be lower/case uppercase related to the assets that need to be loaded? i see in the source it uses "GRAPHICS_TABLES.SEQ" but the assets itself and the manifest is lower case 'graphics_tables.seq'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SebastianVoges said:

is there a chance it could be lower/case uppercase related to the assets that need to be loaded? i see in the source it uses "GRAPHICS_TABLES.SEQ" but the assets itself and the manifest is lower case 'graphics_tables.seq'

That seems to be it, I renamed the assets to uppercase names and updated the manifest. and it's working now for me in the web emulator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, that's interesting. I'll change the code on our end so that it makes everything (manifest and filenames) uppercase, that should account for the problem in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MattGrandis said:

Oh, that's interesting. I'll change the code on our end so that it makes everything (manifest and filenames) uppercase, that should account for the problem in the future.

I was thinking perhaps the web emulator could do that too, make everything uppercase that is passed into the emulators host filesystem.  I am not 100% sure though if that is the right thing to do.

On https://github.com/commanderx16/x16-emulator about the Host Filesystem Interface it says: 

Quote

To avoid incompatibility problems between the PETSCII and ASCII encodings, use lower case filenames on the host side, and unshifted filenames on the X16 side.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, this is a conundrum. File names and manifest entries are all lower case now, but it's still not working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I should've guessed it would be case sensitivity. Silly me, running on Windows, where the filesystem's made up and the cases don't matter. 😛

Is the emulator doing any case-shifting when the hook for loading files extracts the filename?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I popped open the emulator source and it looks like "no", which means it's my fault, in my assembly source I'm specifying filenames in upper-case ASCII, which isn't going to map to unshifted PETSCII. My b. Let me make a new release and see if that fixes things.

Edit: Perfect. All fixed up.

Edited by StephenHorn
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use