Classic Video Game Music

So, video game music has come up in a couple threads, and it got me thinking...

What classic video game music sticks out in your mind the most? Is it for a particular game? A platform? Was there a song that "hooked" you and made you realize video game music can be just as awesome as any other form of music?

For me, there is a lot of classic video game music I liked, but it was two games for the NES that really made me appreciate the art of it. That truly stuck in my mind, and these were the first games I used to fire up JUST to listen to the music, long after I beat them.

They were Blaster Master and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

Specifically "Area 1" in Blaster Master and "Bloody Tears" in Simon's Quest

Both of these tunes ended up becoming very popular over the years. There are a lot of modern reincarnations of these, but these are the originals that started me down the path of really appreciating VG music. With my personal favorite version of Bloody Tears being from Super Castlevania 4, and Dracula X being a close second. There is also a really cool cover for this song on YouTube from a channel called "Tetsuya Fuzuki", it's really well done!

So, what are your favorites, what sticks out in your mind, or holds a special place on your memories and why?

🎵😁

• Like 1

I've never been a "huge" game soundtrack fan. I'm sensitive to sound and I often find it distracting when I'm trying to focus. My favorite game-style music (which includes lyrics which probably is a big part of the reason why) is the theme to "The Goldbergs", Rewind by I Fight Dragons. 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scott Robison said:

I've never been a "huge" game soundtrack fan. I'm sensitive to sound and I often find it distracting when I'm trying to focus. My favorite game-style music (which includes lyrics which probably is a big part of the reason why) is the theme to "The Goldbergs", Rewind by I Fight Dragons. 🙂

Also, an excellent series! Rare these days in my humble opinion. 🙂

• Like 1

Well, let's get this started with one of the most famous examples of video game music ever: The Opera Scene.

I mean, there were other pieces of videogame music I've enjoyed and felt were very good, but if there was one title that cemented the idea in my head that I would be listening to game music for the rest of my life, because it was fantastic... that would be this.

Square had and continues to have fantastic artists. Another master from their history includes Yasunori Mitsuda. The entire soundtrack from Xenogears is a masterwork.

Edited by StephenHorn
  • Like 1

I can immediately name some, because I like them so much, that they are in my music list, which I listen to regularly:
Star Fox - Corneria
Super Castlevania 4 - Theme of Simon
Apidya - Meadow's Edge
Cobra MIssion - many tracks, especially Opening and Enemy Battle

• Like 2

Some excellent selections!

I am a HUGE fan of a lot of music that comes from Square, especially the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy VII was one of those games that left a huge mark on me, partly because of it's soundtrack. I was utterly amazed by it back it dropped. I have played it through many times, once recently via a handy tool called "7th Heaven", as long as you have the original game you're good. I used my copy from Steam. Now I can't wait to play the Remake once it hits PC.

StarFox had an incredible soundtrack as well! I generally liked the music that came from the SNES's sound chip. Including Simon's Theme from Super Castlevania IV! The first time I heard that while playing through the game, I actually stopped and just listened for a moment. Of course I went back and played it countless times via the sound options menu afterwords!

One thing I actually disliked about gaming in DOS/Windows back in the early days, I thought many console games just sounded better. The sound card you had in your PC greatly affected what your heard, obviosuly. With consoles, you knew what to expect, you knew what they sounded like becasue the hardware didn't change. With sound cards, and some games, you really didn't know what you were going to get. You couldn't just look it up back then, at least not like you can today. So I spent a lot of time and money on my sound cards to get sounds and music I was happy with, like many others I eventually ended up sticking with Sound Blaster cards for the most part. Though for a while in the 90's I actually would swap out between Sound Blaster and Ad-Lib cards depending on the game on question. I liked to see what things sounded like on both.

My PC back then rarely ever had it's case closed. 😛

Capcom's artists have produced some really great music as well. It happens that as I went looking, the first video result's top comment was "This soundtrack is one of the reasons why i became a musician, true story":

But I want to offer a special shoutout to an indie artist going by the name RushJet1. I absolutely fell in love with their remixes when they first started posting on Youtube, and I follow their Youtube channel to this day:

Tell me the whole OST isn't absolutely rocking, I dare you:

https://rushjet1.com/album/mega-man-3-remade

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Strider said:

I generally liked the music that came from the SNES's sound chip. Including Simon's Theme from Super Castlevania IV! The first time I heard that while playing through the game, I actually stopped and just listened for a moment. Of course I went back and played it countless times via the sound options menu afterwords!

I was totally blown away when heard Simon's Theme from Super Castlevania IV for the first time. I like this comment on YouTube about it:

image.png.bd727098243a3bed7997219c49fefbd1.png

• Like 2

I love many tracks that have been posted thus far. Talking about SNES music, I think Actraiser's sound track blows almost everything else on the system out of the water, but the game is a little more obscure nowadays, so it's not often held in universally high esteem like FFIV's track is...

The ending credits music is particularly epic.

The penultimate stage - Northwall 2 is also quite epic:

• Like 1

I remember a cross-country road trip where my daughter had just borrowed a GBA and ONE (1) game, which she played the whole time.    It was a Castlevania Circle of the Moon -- regarded as one of the weaker installments, but she said it was a blast and the music was pretty great.    I found these I recognized in particular particular:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cool to others who love a lot of the same music as I do! 😁

2 hours ago, ZeroByte said:

I love many tracks that have been posted thus far. Talking about SNES music, I think Actraiser's sound track blows almost everything else on the system out of the water, but the game is a little more obscure nowadays, so it's not often held in universally high esteem like FFIV's track is...

ActRasier... This is yet another of my all time favorite SNES titles! I remember renting it at my local video store when it came out, and really had no idea what it was really going to be like. Then, I got it home and played it... Non-stop... Until completed it. It reeled me in, hook line and sinker. An amazing game with an amazing score.

At that time, I had my home entertainment system piped though my rather large home stereo system that was mainly comprised of my DJ equipment (Believe it or not, I had my own DJ business at the time), so it sounded great. I remember when that ending score fired up I literally got goosebumps, I felt like I was in a movie theater. Clearly inspired by the 20th Century Fox fanfare in the beginning and end.Then the rest that followed was just amazing. Highly underrated! Made you feel like you just played a movie!

Edited by Strider