OMG amazing find from Nintendo Gigaleak

I was browsing around and decided to revisit the Nintendo Gigaleak from last year. I had stopped following when a later release had come out including archives of Koji Kondo's original uncompressed samples used to make the music for classics Super Mario World, Zelda A Link To The Past, etc.

Well, fast forward from there, and a guy "The Brickster" has released 'remastered' soundtracks of several games, made using the original uncompressed samples.

Here's a link to the Zelda playlist - it's amazing to hear this

Note, these videos have been posted for a little while, so it's not that this is "breaking news" but I thought that this would be interesting for anyone here who wasn't aware of such things' existence (like me)

Edited by ZeroByte
  • Like 5

Apparently, the Zelda tracks were made using some pretty awesome detective work. They looked at a photo of Koji Kondo in his studio and identified the hardware in his equipment rack - then went through sample libraries for the devices until they found the original samples used, and reconstructed that way. Pretty awesome.

• Like 1

The whole OST that these folks put together is pretty cool. This particular find from the Gigaleak is why I support efforts to preserve videogaming history in all its forms, including (and perhaps most importantly) source code and assets! So I'm very happy that Nintendo has done such a good job of preserving their own history, going back at least this far, that something like this was possible. I know they must've been horrified by the gigaleak -- it probably represents billions of dollars of value, frankly -- but without it, we probably never would have had the chance to hear this.

• Like 1

Hmm...

I wonder what it would sound like if you used the YM2151 for brass and strings, the geometry synthesis channels for light woodwinds (flutes and oboe) and simple percussion (snare and base drums) and the PCM channel (with regular garbage collection) for clarinets, saxophone, cymbals, bongos, and timpani?  Or would more of the woodwinds need to be sent to the geometry channels?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenHorn said:

The whole OST that these folks put together is pretty cool. This particular find from the Gigaleak is why I support efforts to preserve videogaming history in all its forms, including (and perhaps most importantly) source code and assets! So I'm very happy that Nintendo has done such a good job of preserving their own history, going back at least this far, that something like this was possible. I know they must've been horrified by the gigaleak -- it probably represents billions of dollars of value, frankly -- but without it, we probably never would have had the chance to hear this.

What's funny is that in a way, they made the revelations from the gigaleak just that much more special by virtue of their own secretive nature. If they just put all that stuff in "bonus features" sections like an assets gallery and had commentary nodes like Valve does - then people would've thought it was cool, but when it's been a mystery for years and years, with people slobbering gleefully whenver so much as a single unused asset gets mined from a ROM image.... well, the gigaleak makes people feel like they're holding a winning lottery ticket during a total eclipse on Christmas day.

• Haha 1

They've started a Super Metroid playlist, and wow - the first track is the mysterious statue that blocks the way to the final area - that track sounds mind-blowing on the original synths with uncompressed samples. The Mother Brain fight is pretty amazing too.

• Like 2