X8 Release Date q:

EMwhite

On 9/29/2021 at 8:26 AM, Lasagna said:

Yes that is why I said the physical design, they will have to change the board to BGA or whatever option is still in production. This also affects who can assemble them easily, etc.

Why will they have to change the board to BGA when they can still get the same physical QFN48 form factor FPGA still in production, just packaged from the factory in Quantity 2,000 tape and reel ordering units for the QFN40 form factor units Quantity 50 tape and real ordering units? If they need 500, Mouser will be happy to cut a tape or a "Mousereel" of 500.

Heck, if they put the X8 out to crowdfund, I would not be surprised if they end up ordering one or more whole reels anyway, with one partial tape to hit the final order.

This could well be similar to container ships strongly preferring high cube 40 foot containers right now ... 2,000 unit tape reels probably ship more compactly than 50 unit tape reels, and with ocean container shipping costs 5x what they normally are, and still some challenges getting containers (because container ships don't like shipping standard height containers right now) ... that shipping volume consideration has greater force right now than it usually does.

Edited by BruceMcF

On 9/29/2021 at 5:26 AM, Lasagna said:

Yes that is why I said the physical design, they will have to change the board to BGA or whatever option is still in production. This also affects who can assemble them easily, etc.

The TR50 only refers to how the parts are packaged for pick and place machines. All SG48 components are 48 pin QFN. The "I" refers to industrial grade. This is covered in section 5.3 of the datasheet:

image.thumb.png.6f806514447de76f2e53852da6e2261b.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 5:13 PM, EMwhite said:

Probably everybody but me knew about this (3 days ago) but maybe some of you are not on FaceBook so also. missed this 'news'...

David himself said:

{snipped}

Sorry, it probably should have been posted here. I saw someone else post about it in another message somewhere but I think I assumed it was here, and I was wrong.

Haha, no sorry needed; I’m not an official but didn’t see the actual posting until now.

Whomever is the official can probably shut this thread down while we wait for an actual announcement.

Note that "[somebody] is working on something to see how it works out" is not a very common type of official announcement ...

... and IMHO that's a pretty sensible approach. Those kinds of announcements can very easily gets simplified in some people's heads as "The team is going with this", and then gets repeated as that, and then the "maybe, maybe not" from the team to tamp down on expectations when its unknown whether they can be met generates angst among people who were excited by the (incorrect) version of the announcement they had heard.

"We have tried this and based on the results, we are going to go with it" is a much more common announcement from this team.

Repeating what I've mentioned already in this thread, this project is not going to advance at the speed of an online discussion, it's going to advance at the speed of a hardware project. Where we software types can download a library or two and some source and get cracking, hardware types may have to, eg, get a new part, or even worse a new development board, to work on something on a different part than they've worked on before.

Edited by BruceMcF

On 10/3/2021 at 4:13 PM, EMwhite said:

Probably everybody but me knew about this (3 days ago) but maybe some of you are not on FaceBook so also. missed this 'news'...

David himself said:

291367351_ScreenShot2021-10-03at7_10_39PM.thumb.png.29b1da758fe9184da5974b3df033efbe.png

This is why I dislike Facebook…. Unlike proper forum software, there’s no “catch up” system on Facebook groups, which shows you just the posts you’ve missed. I saw the post by Ian, but never saw Klaus’s reply, David’s reply to him, or Phil’s reply to David… 

IMO why Facebook groups should be used sparingly and for official announcements, leaving actual conversation to product forums like this one.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, TomXP411 said:

This is why I dislike Facebook…. Unlike proper forum software, there’s no “catch up” system on Facebook groups, which shows you just the posts you’ve missed. I saw the post by Ian, but never saw Klaus’s reply, David’s reply to him, or Phil’s reply to David… 

IMO why Facebook groups should be used sparingly and for official announcements, leaving actual conversation to product forums like this one.

You're in luck. Facebook has been down for at least three hours today. 🙂 

• Haha 3