Amiga (a500) Mini

I don’t think it’s breaking news but what are your thoughts on the next in the ‘mini’ line?

As prior it looks like it’s a player for a number of games.  They don’t mean much to me because I never had the dough for an Amiga and was coding professionally just to make rent as the platform gained popularity.

But if you owned an Amiga or know about this upcoming release, do you have an opinion?

I think I the bar is higher; in order to emulate those two fancy ICs.  Doubt it will allow a faithful ‘drop into Basic’ ala C64 or in this case workbench or whatever it’s called.  What do you think or know?

I was never able to afford an Amiga either for similar reasons, so the platform doesn't appeal to me like The C64 Mini & esp "Maxi" do. Lack of nostalgia.

Further ... given the difficulty I had acquiring The C64 "Maxi" in North America, I doubt I'd be holding my breath for it even if there was the nostalgia factor.

They got me interested with this!

Now I really wonder whether they gonna release TheA500 Maxi?

And are they thinking about releasing some other retro machines in same manner?

I'm so astonished that retro theme is rising this days! It's almost like in Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: 80's is popular again.

Isn't it just a Pi / FPGA in a box with a fake non-keyboard so it looks like a baby A500 ?

And why would anyone want an authentic Amiga mouse ; I mean when we didn't have modern mice we thought they were all right, but looking back, almost any ultra cheap mouse would be better ..... there might be interest in a real Amiga clone I suppose with a proper keyboard like the Max  ?

Oh yeah, I want one, as long as the price is close to the C64 Mini. For the same reasons as well, pure nostalgia. 😁

Yes, I can and do emulate it on both PC and Pi, but I am one of those people who appreciate the case as much as the internals, hence why I have the Pi cases I do. I like my hardware to look the part too! I also appreciate the work they put into it.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:24 PM, Strider said:

Oh yeah, I want one, as long as the price is close to the C64 Mini. For the same reasons as well, pure nostalgia. 😁

Yes, I can and do emulate it on both PC and Pi, but I am one of those people who appreciate the case as much as the internals, hence why I have the Pi cases I do. I like my hardware to look the part too! I also appreciate the work they put into it.

The C64 Mini was introduced at $80 US, and the pricing discussed so far for The A500 Mini is looking like $140 US. Of course, it'll require a beefier platform to emulate the more powerful hardware and it'll come with two USB HID devices, so it makes sense it'll cost a bit more at launch.

• Like 1

As with just about everything, I’ve got will power and can resist temptation... until... something like this bit of history pops up.

1 hr you’ll never get back (and won’t want to). If you have any appreciation for 80s industry lore and ‘what happened to Jack’, this will appeal to you, massively.

tl;dr: the moment they can drop into workbench and run a few utilities, I’m buying one.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:25 PM, EMwhite said:

Doubt it will allow a faithful ‘drop into Basic’ ala C64 or in this case workbench or whatever it’s called.

They will. It's just based on the FS-UAE emulator, and UAE works very well with Workbench. (In fact, the virtual hard drive support on UAE is more flexible than a real machine.) 

They've also said this will be WHDLoad compatible, which is a system to load floppy games and games meant for different versions of the OS onto the hard drive. 

With WHDLoad as an option, it would be pretty surprising if they didn't have a "Boot to Workbench" option - otherwise, they'd have to essentially write their own shell to launch games once the OS starts. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:10 AM, EMwhite said:

1 hr you’ll never get back (and won’t want to). If you have any appreciation for 80s industry lore and ‘what happened to Jack’, this will appeal to you, massively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws3DJF7MbMU

And there is part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcXcy2b1dRM

Both parts are interesting to watch.

For some reason I never knew about Amiga CDTV. May be because it's harware is nothing special, but the exterior design is kick ass!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 12:44 AM, Strider said:

Wow. Pre-orders are already up on Amazon. 🧐

https://www.amazon.com/A500-Mini-electronic-games/dp/B09CM1C3LX/

Yes, it went up back in August. The name was wrong, though, so it was the "AS500." At the time, I was thinking, I didn't know IBM had released a follow-up to their popular AS400 mainframe..

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 3:07 PM, Scott Robison said:

The C64 Mini was introduced at $80 US, and the pricing discussed so far for The A500 Mini is looking like $140 US. Of course, it'll require a beefier platform to emulate the more powerful hardware and it'll come with two USB HID devices, so it makes sense it'll cost a bit more at launch.

I bought a C64 Mini for $40 CAD when it was on clearance. Shipped from BC to ON no less. Something like $54 after tax and shipping. I thought that was a great deal in early 2020, but just a couple months ago I saw Gamestop/EBGames was shoving them out the door for $25 CAD!

The chassis sits on my desk in the space under my monitor, while the joystick remains in the box unused, because I have read that the stick is easily broken.

I never use it. I am sure I wouldn't use the Amiga Mini either.

I basically bought the C64 Mini to look at, because it took up less space than my VIC20 and it was both cheaper and better crafted than a similarly sized C64 style case for the Raspberry Pi.

Amiga? I am pretty sure that I didn't even know they existed until a few years ago. VIC20, Apple II, C64, NES, Genesis, PC, and Gameboy were the devices I remember using in the 80s/90s. No nostalgia here for me. 

That said, having owned the C64 Mini for a while now, it's clear to me that I am "over" the whole emulated retro mini thing. I haven't been into collecting things for the sake of doing so since my sister and I gave up hockey cards in the early 90s, so I don't feel like I "gotta have'em all". In a practical sense, I already have a PC which can emulate essentially everything and it's already at my desk hooked up to my SNES style controllers, keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers, so... as my wife says every time I suggest we go thrifting, "I thought we need less junk, not more?!"

And that said, had it been available in Canada, I would have purchased a "VIC20 Maxi" to keep my real VIC20 company, available space be damned! 😉

• Like 2

I thought that real amigas are still available on the secondhand market, they are not rare afaik.

I spent too much time out of my life playing settlers 2 on amiga. I did some programming on it as well. I love amiga, I think the 1200 was the best computer ever made bar none.