Dark Matter

I was listening to the latest GeekBits podcast yesterday and the topic of "bad science in fiction" was being discussed. One of the topics had to with an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation called "The Next Phase". Simply put, two characters are involved in a mishap and now their physical bodies are out of phase with the rest of the universe so they can walk through walls, push their hands through desks, etc. Yet the characters never fall through the floor. And of course being out of phase they cannot be seen by anyone else. They are ghosts for all intents and purposes.

In thinking about it, I now realize why we haven't yet discovered dark matter, which seems to make up the majority of the universe but we can't see it or detect it other than via gravity. Clearly dark matter is just matter that is out of phase. Out of phase matter interacts with other matter gravitationally, so some aspect of the artificial gravity on a starship keeps the out of phase people from falling through the floors (graviton resistance, I'll call it). But because it isn't visible, we can't see it. At least we can't see it until we learn to flood space with anyon particles which were ultimately used to "rephase" the characters.

Summary: I have now come up with the perfect explanation for dark matter. Someone please nominate me to the Nobel prize committee, it will look good on my resume.

• Haha 1

My personal favorite candidate are WIMPs, Weakly Interactive Massive Particles.

Why?

IF they exist, and they are searching like mad, they solve the problem (for now), and, I just love the name. Particles so massive or abundant they literally shape the visible universe, but are called WIMPs! 🤪

I'm an astrophysics junkie. I do not pretend to understand the raw math (way over my head), but I spend a lot of time keeping up on current theories and reading WAY too many articles on the subject.

Edited by Strider

On 10/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Strider said:

My personal favorite candidate are WIMPs, Weakly Interactive Massive Particles.

Why?

IF they exist, and they are searching like mad, they solve the problem (for now), and, I just love the name. Particles so massive or abundant they literally shape the visible universe, but are called WIMPs! 🤪

I'm an astrophysics junkie. I do not pretend to understand the raw math (way over my head), but I spend a lot of time keeping up on current theories and reading WAY too many articles on the subject.

You're probably far closer to being right than I am. I just saw the opportunity for a joke that suggested I was worthy of a Nobel prize. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, Scott Robison said:

You're probably far closer to being right than I am. I just saw the opportunity for a joke that suggested I was worthy of a Nobel prize. 🙂

You got my vote. Phased matter sounds MUCH cooler. 😛