Doom on NES

xanthrou

On 11/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, ZeroByte said:

This is more or less - doom on a Raspberry Pi, using an NES as a video card.

Well, most of Star Fox is from RISC CPU-based SuperFX chip (which has its own RAM and ROM, also intended originally for the NES, but instead made for SNES), so this is basically the NES equivalent of SuperFX.

(On a side note, one more comment and you'll reach the number of 486 in total of comments)

Well, for comment 486 (woot), I'd like to say that SFX did do a lot of the image processing for Star Fox, but definitely not all of it, and not the game engine either. It was essentially a VooDoo3 card for SNES. The SNES still did a lot on the game engine side, and did the horizon graphics and pop-up portrait sprites and whatnot. So yeah, SFX definitely pushed the SNES well beyond anything it could dream of doing alone, it wasn't running the entire game. That's what my comment about doom on NES cart was about.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:31 AM, Scott Robison said:

Next will be Doom on a teletypewriter which spits out XY coordinates and the color to paint that pixel with your handy "Doom Paint By Numbers" kit.

I played Quake in xterm using a VGA to ASCII art plugin once.....

• Like 4

I look at this as a modern incarnation of "cramming extra power into a game cart becasue the console isn't powerful enough to do the job". In this case almost all the power is in the cart,  but... I still think it's cool. I think I appreciate the work that goes into doing something like this just as much as the final result.

The only "odd" thing I ever played Doom on was a TI-83 Plus calculator, but I played several games on it, and it's not all that odd since just about anyone who ever owned one tried that. Still, it's was neat, all be it ... slow. 😁

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, Strider said:

I look at this as a modern incarnation of "cramming extra power into a game cart because the console isn't powerful enough to do the job". In this case almost all the power is in the cart,  but... I still think it's cool. I think I appreciate the work that goes into doing something like this just as much as the final result.

Since it is designed to play on regular NESs.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think this is cheating.

Well, stuffing extra (sometimes newer) tech in NES cartridges is a common practice back in the day to enable features in the games not possible otherwise, in Famicom even more so, due to extra audio like VRC7, VRC6, N163, MMC5, S5B, etc. Even some bootleg games can add additional hardware.

The DOOM cart is basically the same kind of practice fast-fowarded to today, just did that on a much more radical extent. So, it's a fair game.

Edited by xanthrou
  • Like 1