Ghostbusters Afterlife

Strider

Not going to ruin anything for anyone, but I went and seen it, and if you're a fan of the series like I am, it's a must!

My wife, daughter, and I went to check it out, being a Monday night we pretty much had the theater to ourselves. I really enjoyed the film, there is a lot of "fan service", and it was really well done. The way they did things was really respectful to the original films and it was well worth the $65 it cost, once you add in popcorn and soda. haha

I seen the original two films in theaters when they released, no way I was going to miss this one, especially since it's one of my all time favorite film franchises.

Also, if you go, there are two post credit scenes, one near the start of the credits, and one at the end. So don't run out of the theater, you wont want to miss them. 😁

Have you seen it? Plan on seeing it in theaters? What did you think?

Edited by Strider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an OG Ghostbusters fan, I was really hyped to see this movie, considering that it is a proper extension of the GB universe. However, I'm not going to see it the theatre. I wanted to take the kids, but life is stupid now and we'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, Travis Bryant moore said:

It is not the same with the same actors playing in it. I mean Dan Acroid was a legend. 

The new movie did have the original actors and/or likenesses in it (though in much smaller roles) as the same characters. It was good. I enjoyed it. I can't say it was as good as the original, but it was better than Ghostbusters II in my opinion. Also, there is a big difference between 16 year old me and 54 year old me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We rented it on the cable tv thing. I watched 3 times. Like any movie, it had some technical issues, but in all the ways that matter this movie was everything that it should have been. They put a lot of effort into making it feel like a Ghostbusters movie, rather than just a movie in that universe about some of those people. The sounds, the music, some of the jokes and their comedic timing, and the physical references to items that were in the other movies, made this one feel like another Ghostbusters movie. That's great! All I wanted as a fan.

I think it would have been better without the older brother and the girl friend, giving all that screen time instead to Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, McKenna Grace and Logan Kim to develop their characters and have more adventures/discoveries, especially as a team. Like cut out all the Finn Wolfhard stuff, put Rudd driving Ecto 1, and Coon discovering Egon's motives earlier, then use the extra screen time to have a new ghost busting team build to the climax where they're in over their heads and the old guys step in to help them win...

But, it was good enough. I liked it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some awesome to enjoy...

• Like 1

• Super Administrators
On 4/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, Tatwi said:

I think it would have been better without the older brother and the girl friend, giving all that screen time instead to Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, McKenna Grace and Logan Kim to develop their characters and have more adventures/discoveries, especially as a team. Like cut out all the Finn Wolfhard stuff, put Rudd driving Ecto 1, and Coon discovering Egon's motives earlier, then use the extra screen time to have a new ghost busting team build to the climax where they're in over their heads and the old guys step in to help them win...

I agree with some of this, although I think losing Finn would have been a shame. I saw what what they were trying to do with him, though it could have been done better. The whole point was to re-forge this broken family, help the kids form a new bond, and redeem their disgraced grandfather. Replacing the other brother with Grooberson robs Finn of the Hero's Journey and Phoebe of the chance to bond with her brother.

The film was a lot of fun to watch, but yes: the pacing was pretty uneven. The first 2/3 plays out like a mystery, with secrets being slowly revealed, then the second 1/3 plays out like an action movie. Suddenly it's gone from a mystery to a whacky action/adventure film that feels a lot like the first film. If we're going to have whacky ghost action in the second part, maybe making the first part more humorous would have helped... or something. It's hard to put my finger on it, but the first part of the film (which is more like 2/3 of its content) just feels slow - despite a lot of reveals along the way.