Politeness, Poutine, and other Myths from the Great White North

Tatwi

TL;DR: I'm nobody, just some douche bag Canadian. Hello! 🙃

I refer to myself an "Advanced Dullard", because if there is one thing that my journey through life has taught me, it's that absolutely everything I can do, someone else can do way better. You know what though, it's fine. I've made my peace with not being the next Isaac Newton. Whatever!

Like all young people, when I was a youth I was under the strange delusion that I was important and that my thoughts and opinions mattered. This was a fascinating double standard, because I have also always found self-promotion and hubris to be utterly repulsive. Thankfully, as I approach "the big four four", I better understand the insignificant role I play in the cosmos. I'm just a tiny piece of the universe trying to understand itself.

That said, I "do stuff" that might be of interest to ye fellow retro folk. So, allow me to ramble about that for the next five hundred words, because I sure love the sound of my own inner monologue! Most days it's voiced by Norm MacDonald.

OK truthfully, I mostly "did stuff", as I don't really do a whole hell of a lot of anything anymore. This is due to a combination funding and time management concerns. You see, I am an obsessive-compulsive person who can happily work on something for 36 straight hours, provided I am not distracted. My mind can juggle a thousand balls, but the moment someone asks me a question, the balls tumble to the ground and it can take hours or even weeks before I can get all those balls back up in the air again. I loathe distractions with the fiery breath of the most vile man-crying*1 dragon. What this means in practice is that many of the accomplishments on my GitHub page represent huge amounts of time where I shut out the world. The very same world that includes my loving wife and our three awesome children. And ya know what, I just don't want to do that anymore, so I have reduced the scope of my projects; If I don't want to change who I am, at least I can change what I do.

In the past I have created many mods to the Star Wars Galaxies emulator, for myself and for others, as well as client tools, mods, and documentation for the original game from 2003-2011. I've also puttered with World of Warcraft server mods, No Man's Sky mods, Torchlight II mods, and a slew of other creative and programming projects. Also, I am 4 years behind on completing RocketTux, which was supposed to be a "a simple game made on a Chromebook for Chromebooks", but is now just a general HTML5 game pain in my arse. I learned to program in BASIC on a Commodore 64c at school when I was in seventh grade (1989-90), but I really didn't get serious about programming as a hobby until I discovered just how expensive children are. Prior to, I preferred outdoors hobbies that aren't free, such as traveling to neat places to go kayaking. Yup, programming and playing computer games is what I do "because I can" rather than out of some super duper love of doing it. Still, they aren't bad hobbies. Low risk of drowning and being eaten by bears... yeah...

Anyway, moving on. These days, when I am not aimlessly wandering around collecting things in Guild Wars 2, I like to putter away at QBasic in DOSBox and poke at the not quite dead body of RocketTux (JavaScript). QBasic is great, because it's very nostalgic for me, as I learned it in high school, and it's a really cohesive programming environment. Perhaps one day I will look into using QB64 to make native Windows or Linux programs. Ah Linux programming... I always intended to make desktop programs with Glade and C... Maybe one day!

"Ahh... cool? But why are you here?", you ask!

Well, I like the idea of a new, inexpensive, retro computing platform that a nostalgic community can enjoy together. In the case of the X16, I sure wish it were an actual product, because I am completely uninterested in using the emulator, but it's not a perfect world. I await the day I can purchase an X16e and start... starting stuff.

I used to maintain a website and/or a blog, because I enjoy writing and making guides. However, I got rid of all that, because it just sucked too much time away from actually doing the things I would write about. I shut down my websites, I deleted my blog, and I don't participate in social media. Years later, I don't miss any of it and I really do have a lot more time (and head-space) to write documentation for my projects and to post on topic specific forums such as this one. I am thinking that eventually I will produce some software for the Commander X16 and/or I will participate in a community project and that will lead me to writing here or on GitHub.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being social. I am just not interested in the extremes it's taken to and the other issues with the current platforms. What was wrong with ICQ and mailing lists?! Kids these days, I tell ya.

And there you have it, a whole mess of crap about me that no cares about, but I posted it here anyway. If you've made it this far truly, we both need to make better use of our time!

Sincerely,

R. Bassett Jr. (Tatwi)

Ps. The R. is for Rob. The origin of Tatwi is literally, "Cool, I can make a second character in Star Wars Galaxies now! I should make a wife for my main character. What would be a good name for a strong woman in Star Wars? There's Anakin's mother, Shmi... She was from Tatooine. Hmm... Tatshmi? That doesn't sound right... Tatbree... Tatlea... Tatwi? Hey, that's not bad!" and then I ended up playing that character so much that it's who most people knew me as. "I'm a dude btw", was a popular phrase back then.

screenShot3053.thumb.jpg.c9da880bce2cf43c2e1ee05bd239f8a8.jpg

*1 - A footnote on man-crying:
I realized one day, when I smashed our vacuum into my hand with such force as to tear through my skin with a blunt portion of the chassis (after I had I gently tugged on the hose and that upright sucker keeled right the fuck over), that I no longer cried when I was physically injured, I got really, really angry instead. Biologically and historically, I think that makes a lot sense. I imagine that in the world before civilization there was a high likelihood that being injured meant that something was trying to eat you. It stands to reason that those who fought with great furry to protect themselves ended up raising more children than those who did not. Going from "Zero" to "Blind Rage" in that context is obviously helpful, but it's tremendously detrimental in its diminutive form of going from "Busy" to "Fuck Off and Leave Me Alone!" when you're child can't find the peanut butter.

I enjoy being a man and I have no desire to diminish or deny my wild nature, but I also understand that it's my responsibility while wielding this hammer to remain aware that not all problems are nails.

• Like 1

That you for explaining the origin of your handle. I (apparently with most people) assumed Tatwi was feminine, but then you've posted on other topics in a manner that seemed to make it clear that you were a dude. However in this day and age, you never know who / what situation you are dealing with. I don't mean that to be a judgmental statement, my youngest child was born male and identifies as female now. I try to be supportive, though it's hard to flip a switch when you've interacted with someone for years as a male and suddenly have to make a mental transition (which I guess one could say "imagine how it feels for your child" and I guess that is true as well).

But I don't mean for this to be a politcal / social commentary issue, just an observation that we have to be more careful than in the "Good Old Days(TM)" (which weren't always as good when we aren't wearing our rose colored glasses) when it comes to identifying people "properly". So thanks for making it easier for me by "outing" yourself. 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Scott Robison said:

That you for explaining the origin of your handle. I (apparently with most people) assumed Tatwi was feminine, but then you've posted on other topics in a manner that seemed to make it clear that you were a dude. However in this day and age, you never know who / what situation you are dealing with. I don't mean that to be a judgmental statement, my youngest child was born male and identifies as female now. I try to be supportive, though it's hard to flip a switch when you've interacted with someone for years as a male and suddenly have to make a mental transition (which I guess one could say "imagine how it feels for your child" and I guess that is true as well).

But I don't mean for this to be a politcal / social commentary issue, just an observation that we have to be more careful than in the "Good Old Days(TM)" (which weren't always as good when we aren't wearing our rose colored glasses) when it comes to identifying people "properly". So thanks for making it easier for me by "outing" yourself. 🙂

Aye lad, I be just a plain o'l boring male. I care not what ye do or ye desire, lest ye harm another. Arrr, matey, arr!

I guess I am also a Disney pirate... Yeah, that's about right.

On 11/24/2021 at 11:10 AM, Tatwi said:

And there you have it, a whole mess of crap about me that no cares about, but I posted it here anyway. If you've made it this far truly, we both need to make better use of our time!

Thanks for the long detailed post introducing yourself. It certainly is refreshing to see an honest appraisal of where you're at, what you've done and why. The internet is filled with enough "Don't I look good and I'm always happy" type posts. 

As a fellow Canuck, I'll attribute your post to a pre-Winter condition. Perhaps it's best to go hibernate with dreams of the X16 emerging in the Spring when the sun states to shine onto the planet again. 

Worst case, go get a Hawaiian pizza. I've heard one can't get them in the states.