Will this case fit for the X16p commander board?

svenvandevelde

On 11/28/2021 at 1:34 PM, svenvandevelde said:

I don't get a lot of reactions, let me ask it differently, do you know a good case that kind of is "retro" and that can fit the CX16p card?

The case should not be too large, preferably white.

Until there is a physical machine, no knows.

There was an official case, but right now even that is a bit up in the air as the first versions could well be wholly FPGA based.

If you're looking to buy a case now, i'd save your money until there is a release date and there is some certainty about what it actually is.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:31 AM, Cyber said:

It should fit, though I also agree it's better to wait for release to be on the safe side. And I doubt there is a point in cube case for X16.

Yeah, unless you have another, smaller system to fit inside the Cube that will have an expansion port or User Port access, it's hard to see why you'd need all that space.

I'd say get it if you like it, because you can always stick a micro-atx PC motherboard into it if you'd like. In fact, you could pick up something like this Asrock board that has a built in Intel CPU and use it with Linux to emulate the X16 (and every other 8 bit and 16 bit machine). Then just pop it out (and sell it?) when you are able to buy a real X16 board.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 11:55 PM, BruceMcF said:

Yeah, unless you have another, smaller system to fit inside the Cube that will have an expansion port or User Port access, it's hard to see why you'd need all that space.

I'm looking for a smaller case, something like the original X16 case, but I cannot find any of those. Does somebody have a recommentation? Will a ATX case do as well?

• Like 2

If you find the mid 90's to mid 2000's look appealing, a place called http://www.evercase.co.uk/ in the UK still manufactures and sells a bunch of nifty cases. They surprisingly affordable too, if you live in the UK. This one kind of looks similar to the original X16 case (it looks a lot like a thin Dell Dimension Pentium 4 case, but in beige).

I am don't know how many expansion card slots the X16 will use, nor if they will be half or full height cards. Anyone else know for sure? @Perifracticto the rescue?

• Like 1

• Super Administrators
On 12/20/2021 at 2:29 PM, martinot said:

I like this case. A good fit also with the Commodore look. 

Checkmate A1500 Plus (checkmate1500plus.com)

The Checkmate cases are very nice, but expensive - about $200. Still, if you really want a high-quality, retro look, you could do one of those cases and the WASD keycap set, and have a very nice looking machine. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:42 PM, TomXP411 said:

The Checkmate cases are very nice, but expensive - about $200. Still, if you really want a high-quality, retro look, you could do one of those cases and the WASD keycap set, and have a very nice looking machine. 

Yes, compared to a normal standard PC case. But for a speciality and niche case it is actually quite cheap I think. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, TomXP411 said:

Wow. Evercase makes a bunch of white/beige cases. I had no idea. 

http://www.evercase.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=130

I may order a couple of these for various uses, possibly a RetroPie or MiSTer enclosure. 

Anyone else bought one yet?

Just bought a beige desktop case and 300W PSU.

Putting some older PC bits in it for a second PC.