togster510

Vera debugging

Question

Quick question: is it possible to view the contents of vram in the debugger? If so, how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 answers to this question

Not at present, I'm afraid. The debugger's sections are as follows:

1. Disassembly view of memory.
  2. CPU status, Banks, program counter, stack pointer, current breakpoint, VERA Address ($9f20-$9f22), Data0 ($9f23), Data1 ($9f24), and Control ($9f25) registers.
  3. Stack memory
  4. System memory view
  5. Debugger command line

debugger-pane.png.584f3dbefc4a50ff87a8ab7fd8067fd8.png

It probably wouldn't be too bad to add a VRAM display, and maybe I'll get around to it at some point if nobody beats me to it. The emulator's source code is available, and its maintainer is accepting pull requests again. ❤️

• Thanks 1

I don't personally use built-in debugger for my development (I use "-trace" for everything), so it's unlikely I'll get around to adding this myself, but I'd be happy about a pull request!

• Like 1

It is possible with the emulator '-log V' command-line flag to log reads/writes to VRAM addresses, so it might be useful to support some add-on filtering of that emulator output so you could narrow things down to specific VRAM addresses (maybe even specific to the layout of what you're putting where in VRAM).  A first cut at this might be to pipe emulator output to a separate script (python?) that could do this filtering; ultimately it would be faster for this to be done in the emulator itself.

You now can with R38. If you use the -debug command when starting the X16 emulator and then press F12 to start it. Then type v %address and it will display the contents of VERAs memory.

I think its worth noting I only found this out when looking at code for debugger.c in the repo.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Justin Baldock said:

You now can with R38. If you use the -debug command when starting the X16 emulator and then press F12 to start it. Then type v %address and it will display the contents of VERAs memory.

I think its worth noting I only found this out when looking at code for debugger.c in the repo.

Yup, thanks for pointing this out! I had completely forgotten about this thread.

• Like 1

I think its worth noting I only found this out when looking at code for debugger.c in the repo. Found this question while trying to figure out tiles / sprites and why I was having issue