I'm Back from the pits of despair.

Hello Everyone!!!   I had been follow this project since David first put up his dream computer part one.  But I didn't really get on here till early last year.  However crippling anxiety and existential dread kinda pushed me away from all fun hobbies.  So here i am forcing myself to get back into this.  And i thought id start by griping about the last year 🙂   

• Like 2

Hello, while gripping can be cathartic, learning can be more therapeutic and positive! Pick a subject (Assembly, VERA, Prog8, documentation, ....) and go for it. If you have questions, many here are very willing to help. 

• Like 2

• Super Administrators
On 1/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, hardrockhero said:

existential dread

That's the worst. You can't explain it to anyone who hasn't gone through it, and the people who have gone through it don't have any advice to offer, other than "don't do anything stupid."

Soo... welcome back, and I hope we can help be a distraction from the inexorable forward march of time. 😃

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 5:52 PM, Edmond D said:

Hello, while gripping can be cathartic, learning can be more therapeutic and positive! Pick a subject (Assembly, VERA, Prog8, documentation, ....) and go for it. If you have questions, many here are very willing to help. 

I wasnt complaining, just kinda talking, i was actually a few cobras into my day before i wrote that post or i probably would have gone right into a techier part of the forum lol.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:31 AM, TomXP411 said:

That's the worst. You can't explain it to anyone who hasn't gone through it, and the people who have gone through it don't have any advice to offer, other than "don't do anything stupid."

Soo... welcome back, and I hope we can help be a distraction from the inexorable forward march of time. 😃

Me too.  Thanks for that.  Im gonna start by rebrushing up on my Cx16 assembly.  I think Slithy vlogs has a series on it

On 1/21/2022 at 12:51 PM, hardrockhero said:

i was actually a few cobras into my day

Cobras? Yikes - I've had tough workdays but never had to deal with poisonous snakes! I'm not sure what state of mind I'd be in if I had to deal with them.

Slithy Matt does have a series on the X16 and assembly. They seem to be fairly involved, so I'd only recomend them if you have a good assembler background to begin with. There are other resources if you need something a little more "beginner-ish."

On 1/21/2022 at 4:15 PM, Edmond D said:

Cobras? Yikes - I've had tough workdays but never had to deal with poisonous snakes! I'm not sure what state of mind I'd be in if I had to deal with them.

I'm guessing a drink, though whether the Cobra beer or the mixed drink of the same name ... I wouldn't hazard to guess.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:15 PM, Edmond D said:

Slithy Matt does have a series on the X16 and assembly. They seem to be fairly involved, so I'd only recomend them if you have a good assembler background to begin with. There are other resources if you need something a little more "beginner-ish."

Do you have a better recommendation for someone a little more beginnerish? 

On 1/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, hardrockhero said:

I got started with the book Machine Language For Beginners and then The Second Book Of Machine Language both by Richard Mansfield back in the day. I believe some electronic copies are floating around on the net. The books are a solid explanation of 6052 assembly.

The one issue is setting up an environment to work in, and that's based on what platform you want to work with. The books above were written long before the X16 was dreamt of, I assume you've got a modern machine. There is the proposed X16 assembler https://sites.google.com/view/x16asmenv/home  to start, then there are several cross compilers out there. 

Once you get started, look at the forum posts and take on something that interest you.

Edited by Edmond D
typo :-(
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, Edmond D said:

I got started with the book Machine Language For Beginners and then The Second Book Of Machine Language both by Richard Mansfield back in the day. I believe some electronic copies are floating around on the net. The books are a solid explanation of 6052 assembly.

The one issue is setting up an environment to work in, and that's based on what platform you want to work with. The books above were written long before the X16 was dreamt of, I assume you've got a modern machine. There is the proposed X16 assembler https://sites.google.com/view/x16asmenv/home  to start, then there are several cross compilers out there. 

Once you get started, look at the forum posts and take on something that interest you.

if you ever want to recommend one for people in a easy to find online heres one from atariarchives.org https://www.atariarchives.org/mlb/

• Thanks 1

• Super Administrators
On 1/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, hardrockhero said:

Jim Butterfield's books. 

https://project64.c64.org/Software/mlcom.pdf

You really want to know some programming language before learning assembly. BASIC is a good enough place to start. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, hardrockhero said:

Dude that is a well put together online learning tool

Yeah, he did a great job.  I enjoyed it very much.  And once you're familiar with all that, it's a short jump to playing with the C64 or any 65xx system, if you like, or just right into the X16.

• Super Administrators
On 1/23/2022 at 7:59 AM, SlithyMatt said:

I forgot about that wiki. Is anyone still maintaining it?

It's been a while since I've looked in on it, since the main purpose was to collect downloads and share code samples - something this forum also does well. I'll have to look in on it and see how it's going.

• Like 1