This Old Geek - Retired

Strider

Sadly, I have had to abandon my "lets build an old website" idea. Simply put, I don't have the time. 😞

It's a lot more time consuming doing it the "old way" compared to the modern obviously, so much so that I found myself having less and less time to do it.

So, I decided to just go with a more modern, much simpler and quicker, blog style site. I used to have one over on Blogger several years ago, it was fun and easy to maintain, so I'm just going to do that moving forward.

The content will still be the same, and I'll post a link once I have enough to make it worth viewing. πŸ™‚

Β 

The final front page...

It will remain up until the host decides to take it down.

tog-end.jpg.e3fd9fa078f01379399e034808f7cc71.jpg

Β 

Original Post:

For some silly reason, I decided I wanted to create myself a website, just like I would have done back in the 90's or really early 2000's. So I dug out an old copy of Microsoft FrontPage, my software of choice back then, and started messing around, just to kill time. Shockingly, it actually runs great on Windows 10. This is something I can do when I am at my PC, bored, and can't work on any other projects. So don't take it all that seriously, this is purely for fun, my own personal nostalgia, and taking a step back in time about 20+ years. No modern amenities or features, just a simple site designed using old school software, way back when this "World Wide Web" was still relatively new and wild!

I spent a lot of time messing around on my old website back then, I even found remnants of it on archive.org's "Wayback Machine", from 1998 through 2001! Sadly, it's currently not accessible due to a "hardware issue". It was hosted by my local ISP where I worked part time back in the 90's.

Anyway, this is where I am uploading my work in progress: http://thisoldgeek.epizy.com/

tog.jpg.0470677c5c9874745e2ce6faee5bc052.jpg

Edit: I'll find a better host at some point. That place was free and easy. Since it's so old school, bandwidth and other limitations are not really an issue. lol

😏

Edited by Strider
Update 6/14/2022
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Truly looks like the site from th 90's. I like to sumble upon such sites nowdays. They look nostalgic, and serve great. And they beat modern sites in speed and responsiveness. )) By the way I still use basic HTML version of Gmail.

The only donwside of your site is it targeted to 1080p window, and don't refit itself in smaller resolutions.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:53 AM, Yazwho said:

Hmm, literally nothing is under construction. Not convinced!

Back in the day, that was the norm.πŸ€ͺΒ Some sites would update the "online" version every couple of months. All the development happened offline with tiny coding elves slaving away thought the night after a full day's work. Some of those were students who were avoiding courses & studying, I'd like to say by going to parties to drink, but I know it was more of playing (wasting time) on the latest game on the PC all alone in a dorm room. Online and multiplayer games were rare.

Β 

Edited by Edmond D
  • Haha 1

Nailed it! πŸ˜‰

It's all taking place offline, and I upload to there to test it out. It's actually been there a few weeks, I just work so much that those "bored" times I am filling by doing it, are pretty spaced out.

Edit: Also, if I like how it turns out, and I plan on keeping up on it, I will look into better hosting. Not that a 90's style site needs much in terms of bandwidth or storage, but the current host is slow. FTP is jankey, it sometimes stops responding, and they deactivate your site every 30 days with no activity. Though, I understand that, saving space and keeping it all clean.

@Cyber I have it set that way because if it was to resize, it looses it's layout and looks horrible. A limitation I am willing to live with since that's how many personal sites were 20+ years ago. πŸ˜›

Also... JACKPOT! https://gifcities.org/ πŸ€“

Β 

Edited by Strider

Well, I'm slowly making progress, checking a few more boxes. πŸ˜†

[X] - Overuse of animated gifs.

[X] - Obligatory hit counter that only counts page hits, not unique visitors, so you can really make your site look more popular than it is!

[X] - Page last "updated" indicator, becasue people want to know these things!

[X] - Silly page layouts!

I am having way more fun with this than I should be. lol

oldgeek.jpg.5674bd40fae52ce9594fcce141df2444.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Strider said:

Well, I'm slowly making progress, checking a few more boxes. πŸ˜†

You should also check off horrible/unreadable fonts and bad use of colour too!Β πŸ€ͺ

If you add a screen wide ticker-tape widget you'll be pushing into the true bad web design. I await to see what useless info gets scrolled across.

I did get a 404 error that looks way too modern, but it's provided by the hosting so I guess not much you can do about that.Β 2038515099_ScreenShot2022-02-02at1_34_48PM.thumb.png.17c0e6ce72202b6bf1af9df8e383ba3d.png

I'm glad you're having fun with this project.  A a certain point it will hurt too much to look at, but I won't want to turn away 😝

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated ... Again. πŸ€“

Slowly getting there.

Takes so long to format and make everything work using such old tools for new browsers. Of course, I only know how it looks on my end, in Firefox @ 1080P, since that's what I use. So I try and lock everything so it still works at other resolutions and other browsers, no idea if the alignment is off viewed other ways.

Also, it sucks that modern browsers don't play embedded midi files anymore, you have to embed a player. Makes sense from a security perspective. Guess I'll have to find and embed one I like.

Oh well, it's time consuming, but fun! πŸ€ͺ

On 2/14/2022 at 11:06 PM, Strider said:

Also, it sucks that modern browsers don't play embedded midi files anymore, you have to embed a player. Makes sense from a security perspective. Guess I'll have to find and embed one I like.

You should play a MIDI file of "Louisiana Fairy Tale" by Fats Waller.

• Haha 1

I ... cant ... stop! 🀣

I think I'm settling in on a style, finally! Have a java script midi player embedded in the "About" page.

Trying to make it a bit easier on the eyes, but still "old" looking in style. I'm getting there. lol

tog2.jpg.b0433328dc633e44d7d8e078953cb2c8.jpg

Edited by Strider
  • Like 2

• Strider changed the title to This Old Geek - Retired