Preferred Assembler for X16 Dev

peapod

Question

5 answers to this question

Personally, I cut my teeth on ACME, which is a fairly simple assembler that I still feel is good for introducing yourself to assembly programming, though I personally grew out of it fairly quickly (I specifically ran into issues with ACME's macro system). ACME's biggest selling point is that it's dead simple to use for 6502 programming: You type a source file, it outputs exactly what you typed, in the exact order as the source file. It has a few niceties like macros, but you have to insert your own file header if you're planning to load an "auto-launching" program into the X16.

That having been said, my favorite assembler right now is CC65, which is a more full-featured assembler and linker, and a C compiler besides. It will put in the program header for you, and supports "segments", which is to say that you direct the compiler what section of the file certain pieces of source code should go into, and it'll obey that and group the associated blocks of stuff together. This is because it's conventional to do things like keep all of your machine language in one part of a file, and all of your static variables in another part, your runtime variables in their own part of the file, etc., etc. CC65 also has much better support for addressing complex structs (though I'll admit it could still be substantially improved).

• Thanks 1

I tried acme and I really liked it. It’s definitely the easiest to pick up and feels quite flexible. I ended up settling on cc65 though. It turns out that more than once I’ve been stuck and thought “I wonder what the ROM code would do?..” and that’s been pretty valuable in itself; having another cc65 project to refer to.

• Thanks 1

@StephenHorn & @SlithyMatt & @izb

I did look at acme as i saw a couple of you tube videos by Brent Farris last night and his explanation for a complete newb were good,  I'll look at cc65 today to see if i can make head to tail of it.

Besides no point swimming against the current if the flow is cc65.

Thanks again gents

Edited by peapod
  • Like 1

I've been using ACME for a project of mine, but I agree that I'm starting to outgrow it.  As was said above, it is dead simple, so for getting started it's a great option.  I plan on diving into ca65 at some point too, but I haven't had a good reason to just yet.  I think the main hold-up is having to rewrite my macros.

• Thanks 1