m00dawg

Current state of the audio options?

Question

I've been sort of assuming the YM2151 is, at this point, pretty much good to go, but I noticed the current version of the FAQ mentions the final audio implementation is still up in air a bit:

https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?%2Fabout-faq%2F&fbclid=IwAR1H3E-dVgZjKkK-EY8Ooiw4U9afgBrkWTYwaGbb_CArr4WY7ezX0s8xMho

Is it to soon to get some clarity here? Asking because I'm one of the composers for the FF-style RPG being worked on and the approach there has been to use the 2151 for the music, and the other options, whatever they may be, for the SFX. As a musician this isn't as ideal since I'd like to mess with the SAA1099 for sure 🙂 But from a practical standpoint makes sense since we have readymade tools (Deflemask namely) we can use to compose music for the X16. It's not perhaps the most ideal but is the "best" option for now given it exists and there isn't (yet anyway!) a tracker solution on the X16.

All said, if there might be a chance the 2151 might NOT be used, that would have implications for the RPG. Obviously the X16 is still being engineered but the wording of the FAQ spooked a bit in this regard and thought I would ask.

I guess, in short, can we assume at this point that it is likely (though I understand not certain until the hardware is fully complete), that the YM2151 will be one of the sound solutions used in the X16?

8 hours ago, Fnord42 said:

Let me clarify: I don't think that the X16's audio capabilities are disappointing. I was personally a bit disappointed because I had hoped that it could also do MOD files. MOD files have very high retro nostalgia value for me, but that was maybe just a bit much to hope for. Additionally it's probably also a matter of personal preference, because I just don't like the sound of the YM2151 very much.
That being said, the current audio capabilities are of course not bad at all - Amiga-like sound capabilities just would have been the icing on the cake for me, so to speak.

To me, the YM2151 FM chip in the CX16 feels very Genesis-like (since that system has a very-similar chip). It was the FM chip found in a lot of 16-bit arcade games, and was also part of the SHARP X68000 Japanese computer.

The addition of the VERA PSG (which is more SID-like) and the SAA1099 (which was a pretty advanced AY/SN7 sibling for its time) pushes the X16 beyond the level of what I think is "8-bit" music. It would sound more like 16-bit (or even 32-bit?) arcade games, as the channel count currently surpasses even the PS1's SPU.

The 8 MHz 65C02S probably won't be able to catch up with playback, so the music engine would have to be heavily cut in features for it to work within a game or demo. Or just follow a simple convention: Don't use all channels at once.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:23 PM, Fnord42 said:

TBH I am still a bit disappointed about the X16's sound capabilities, mostly because I had hoped it would be able to play MOD files, which does not seem to be possible with the current hardware. (Despite having four(?) different chips with overlapping capabilities, which also feels a bit weird to me.)

I suppose it is totally possible to play mods on the PSG. Obviously it needs all the processing power of the 65C02, so the CX16 will not do much more in the same time.

Welll, I used to play MODs on my 8MHz PC... so the Commander should totally be able to do it, even if it's cheating by manipulating the volume register directly. 

I was under the impression there would be a way to play PCM audio, but I may have misunderstood what the PSG was.

Edited by TomXP411

On 9/19/2020 at 12:50 PM, Elektron72 said:

According to the current documentation, the VERA does contain a PCM playback system.

Except it's buffered. There would be a pause in the audio at AFLOW intervals, as the CPU spends its time computing the new samples to be written to the buffer. There's no DAC mode for that matter.

2 hours ago, StinkerB06 said:

Except it's buffered. There would be a pause in the audio at AFLOW intervals, as the CPU spends its time computing the new samples to be written to the buffer. There's no DAC mode for that matter.

The AFLOW interrupt happens when the buffer gets down to 25%, so you can play continuously as long as you have the PCM data in memory to feed the buffer. Playing back a long file from "disk" may be difficult, but if it was stored in small enough segments, you could keep on feeding the PCM indefinitely.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I love to see: YM2151 + SAA1099 + VERA PSG + VERA PCM in final design.

32Channel -

I do music tracking music. So music using 32 channels can be easily composed. When You use 2 channels for reverb, echo like effects using volume fx. Also You dont need put more instruments in one channel like on SID. You use one instrument per channel.

SAA1099 + VERA PSG

Its good to have 2 PSG chips. When You study Arcade Machines soundsystem You will see that 1x PSG is used for music together with FM. FM instruments and PSG drums, percussions and raw bassline. And second PSG for sound effects! So its ideal to have both! Also SAA1099p cost like 2USD thats good price for 6channels in stereo.

Rare MGT SAMCoupe homecomputer had SAA1099p here is little music demo:

And MODs on 6502cpu??? Well we play MODs like modules on COVOX on Atari 800 with 1,79MHz and 64kb ram. Even on POKEY modules with 4bit samples :). 

Edited by Matej
  • Like 3