Sign in to follow this  
rje

Ask VERA: Why is the character set shifted?

Question

Posted (edited)

I first saw this in the 8 Bit Guy's video, but I'm encountering it now in person. So I'm curious as to why the character set "swaps" PETSCII $40-$5F and $20-$3F?   

Edited by rje

8 answers to this question

Are you talking about screen codes (used with POKE) vs PETSCII codes (used with PRINT, CHR$, ASC)? 

Or are you talking about PETSCII vs ASCII?

The reason the character codes are different than the PETSCII order is reverse characters and control codes. If you look at PETSCII or ASCII, the first 32 values are used for control characters. This would be wasted space if Commodore didn't use those screen codes for something. So they chose to put the screen codes in a different order to make everything fit. 

I don't know why they put A-Z at the beginning of the character set, rather than using that space for graphic glyphs, however. If I'd been making that decision, I would have kept 32-127 the same and just moved the C= key symbols into 0-31. 

As to PETSCII vs ASCII... that goes back to the PET. The PET 2001 did not have lower case characters. Instead, Commodore put the line drawing glyphs in the space between 96 and 127. Later, this changed, when the character set was expanded to allow for lower case. But by then, the damage had already been done. BASIC relied on the PETSCII character set staying unchanged, and so that legacy lived on through all of the Commodore 8-bit computers. 

It occurs to me that you might also be asking about the difference between shifted PETSCII vs. unshifted PETSCII, but I don't know the answer to that...

Tom answered it.  Basically the control codes don’t make sense for VERA, right?  So $40-$5f were moved to $00-1f.  It’s jarring, but it is what it is.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Michael Steil said:

The X16 supports all C64 control codes plus a few extra ones, some of them borrowed from the C128 and the C65: https://github.com/commanderx16/x16-docs/blob/master/Commander X16 Programmer's Reference Guide.md#new-control-characters

That's bueno -- I was wanting that FLASH/NO FLASH code.   

I was specifically grumbling about VERA, and that a VPOKE x,y,z shifts $40-$5f down to $00-$1f, etc.   I hadn't thought about it, but Tom already knew:

The reason the character codes are different than the PETSCII order is reverse characters and control codes. If you look at PETSCII or ASCII, the first 32 values are used for control characters. This would be wasted space if Commodore didn't use those screen codes for something. So they chose to put the screen codes in a different order to make everything fit. 

Edited by rje

It is not the vpoke that shifts it. It is that the screenram has another coding (not Petscii) . You either use CHROUT or convert Petscii to screencode yourself. I never understood why the did not simply ordered the chars in charrom as in Petscii directly. Anyhow that is what it is now. 

Petscii<>Screencodes