martinot

ZX Spectrum Next - Issue 2: 19 more days until closed

Posted (edited)

Not replacing the X16 project, but a really great similar project, Spectrum Next, has a new round on KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spectrumnext/zx-spectrum-next-issue-2

Open for only 19 more days, so do not miss it if you would like to get one.

I think it is a little bit on the too expensive side, £300 (= $350), but a very well composed machine in much of the same spirit as the ideas behind the X16.

For more info: https://www.specnext.com/

Edited by martinot
  • Like 2

It's a great project, I was a backer from round one. In fact you might recognize me in the video you posted! 😉 

For anyone with nostalgia of the ZX Spectrum range, it's highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That custom case looks so good... but I'm sure it's part of what's making the price so high.

I know there are people who wanted a keyboard-computer style case for the X16 as well, but I agree with the decision to go with the Micro ATX if it keeps the cost down!

That said, that Spectrum Next design looks so cool... I don't even have any Spectrum nostalgia, and I still want one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Chow Seymour said:

That custom case looks so good... but I'm sure it's part of what's making the price so high.

I know there are people who wanted a keyboard-computer style case for the X16 as well, but I agree with the decision to go with the Micro ATX if it keeps the cost down!

That said, that Spectrum Next design looks so cool... I don't even have any Spectrum nostalgia, and I still want one.

I agree, it looks fantastic and glorious! But it's also why the first Kickstarter arrived around 2 years late.

• Like 3

So, I just noticed that the Spectrum Next Issue 2 Kickstarter has, as a stretch goal (which has been met), the following (see attached image):

Now, I'm not saying the X16 should have a color manual  - in fact, if B/W keeps the cost down, I'm all for it.  But it takes more than mere color to make a great manual!

"Brag about having the best 8-bit manual ever" - Them's Fightin' Words.  Hey @Perifractic, you gonna take that lying down?

speccystretchgoal.PNG

25 minutes ago, John Chow Seymour said:

So, I just noticed that the Spectrum Next Issue 2 Kickstarter has, as a stretch goal (which has been met), the following (see attached image):

Now, I'm not saying the X16 should have a color manual  - in fact, if B/W keeps the cost down, I'm all for it.  But it takes more than mere color to make a great manual!

"Brag about having the best 8-bit manual ever" - Them's Fightin' Words.  Hey @Perifractic, you gonna take that lying down?

speccystretchgoal.PNG

Haha well, our user guide certainly has an incredddddible colour front cover. But the insides are 95% done, and are black and white, because there's no real need for colour imagery. It sounds cool, but perhaps it's just a gimmick? Either way, it's not a competition 😉 They are both great and different projects 🙂

• Like 4

On 8/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, John Chow Seymour said:

The Timex Sinclair 1000 experience kind of directed me away rather than towards any Spectrum nostalgia, but that is one pretty computer.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:24 PM, Perifractic said:

It's a great project, I was a backer from round one. In fact you might recognize me in the video you posted! 😉 

For anyone with nostalgia of the ZX Spectrum range, it's highly recommended.

Yes, saw you in the vid! 🙂

It is a great project, so wanted to let everyone know (a lot missed first round). 

But I have personally not decided to back it yet. It is quite expensive I think. But I do love the design. Will think about it for 2-3 more days (up until the KS closes).

• Like 1

I just got in on the ZX Spectrum, issue 2 Kickstarter! (Thank you for sharing, otherwise I would have missed out!) At first, I was on the fence because I grew up on the C64, but after watching the promo videos from the first and second campaign, I came to appreciate how unusual and special this entire project was. I respect how challenging it must be trying to accommodate all of the expectations and feature requests from the community, and from my perspective, the Spectrum Next strikes a magical balance; a true and worthy successor. I love the beautiful computer-in-keyboard design. It can even run without emulation as a Commodore 64 or a litany of other 8bit computers thanks to its FPGA core. All that, and a thriving community of 8-bit enthusiasts to share in the experience. Can't wait to get my first Speccy! There are still two days left in the Kickstarter, but the window is closing quickly.

Oh, and they just reached their final stretch goal (£1.5m, over 606% funded), so these computers are coming with a bundle of goodies and upgrades.

image.thumb.png.2d446bf65215c8c523e4fed0210db53f.png

Edited by runstop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I finally decided to also back it (only 8 hours left now if anyone has intended to do that as well). Much for the exact same reasons you listed.

I was an Apple II user and fan in the days (owned a ZX81 for less than a year to just learn BASIC programming, but never the Spectrum). But just like you I really love projects like the Next and X16. So fantastic of all the people helping with the creation of those, and all the time and heart they put into the projects.

I also love the fact that this i a great design from the creator of the original Spectrum computer, Rick Dickinson. It was in fact his last design project before he sadly passed away way too early in life (after a bad time battling with cancer). A fine tribute to a great designer and person.

Edited by martinot
  • Like 1

Good for you! Glad you got in on this one. I don't think you will regret it. It was actually the first Kickstarted that I ever backed! Not because projects aren't great on Kickstarter, but I just sort of forgot about the site in recent years. 

The ZX Spectrum Next is special for sure.. I was really sold when I saw the keyboard that Rick Dickinson designed. As John Chow Seymour put it: "Spectrum Next design looks so cool... I don't even have any Spectrum nostalgia, and I still want one." 

It's a very impressive accomplishment that the team was able to do this. I understand they coordinated agreements with some fifteen separate organizations, including Sky to sign-off on the use of the Sinclair name. 

I'm excited to learn to program for the Z80 and to discover what this machine can really do.  

Now the wait is on until we get our new ZX Spectrum Next computers! 😄

• Thanks 1