SerErris

BASIC Screen reset after Graphics Mode

Question

Hi,

I have created a screen setup which uses Layer0 320x240 8bpp bitmap mode. The screen is so big, that it overwrites the screenareas of ScreenRam (characters) and the CharRom. I also change the Palette.

After running the program I like to return to the READY. prompt with a working screen.

However I am not able to reset it. 

I can run CINT ($FF81) and that recreates the CHARROM. However it does not copy back the Palette or sets the color scheme (color 1,0). 

10300 :REM RESET SCREEN
10310 SYS $FF81
10320 COLOR 1,0
10340 RETURN

So this works partially, but it does not reset the color pallet.

I also tried to set the VERA Reset bit.. but that crashes the emulator completely. The screen goes all blue and nothing ever returns. (I am using a -echo setting currently). You never get any ready prompt or an listing or anything at all back.

I also tried to run the vera restore first, and then the sys call to CINT - but does not work at all... looks like the sys call is never getting executed.

Any idea? I do not want to load the pallette on my own. Should the CINT not actually do a VERA Reset first and then sets all the registers as required and copy the CHARROM?

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

You could try to also call ioinit and/of restor.  And perhaps ramtas But I think that one will wipe all memory.  
$ff84. $ff8a. $ff87

oh the order should be ioinit then restor then cint. 

Edited by desertfish

Posted (edited)

So if I to restore ... the cint will never get called, cause my memory is gone (afaik). 

I just think the pallette stuff should be part of CINT. But it currently not. Not sure if that is considered a bug. Also the Pallette is created by the VERA chip. 

IOINIT does not restore the palette.

Edited by SerErris

restor  ($ff8a)  should not wipe the memory. It "restores default I/O vectors".    it was ramtas ($ff87) that wipes, I think.

Iovectors will not wipe the palette as this is VERA internal. On reset VERA resets the pallet, and that would be okay. I could the. Run the CINT to load the Chatroom again but I cannot get it to work.

10 SCREEN $80
20 POKE $9F25, $80
30 SYS $FF81

It works for me.

Edited by Greg King
  • Like 1