310 VPOKE 1,$F9C0,255
320 VPOKE 1,$F9C1,5
330 VPOKE 1,$F9C3,%10000000

Then later in the program, I turn it on and off:

4300 SP=TI+DU
4310 VPOKE 1,$F9C2,255
4320 IF TI<SP THEN GOTO 4320
4330 VPOKE 1,$F9C2,0

This all works fine. I will be honest I do not know exactly what each VPOKE is doing other than the $F9C2. Any help in understanding what is doing would be grateful.

Secondly, I do not know how to increase the volume. I can hear the tone, but it is not as loud as I think it could be. Help!

And last but certainly not least... how do I do the same thing in ASM? I know there is banking involved and could use some help.

I have created a BASIC program to iron out the details of my program prior to attempting the ASM version. I have attached a copy for those interested. It is by no means finished, nor pretty.

MORSE6.PRG

6 answers to this question

If you look in x16.inc I define the following constant:

VRAM_psg       = $1F9C0

I use that as the basis of all PSG operations, using a fixed offset for the parameter being changed (e.g. volume is in the third byte of each channel, so I use an offset of 2) and then taking the channel number and shifting it left twice (to do a quick x4) to index into the channel's 4-byte section of VRAM (e.g. channel 2 starts at 8 bytes into the PSG registers, so 2 << 2 also gets added to the address).

So, say you want to max the volume of channel X of the PSG, the VRAM address you need to modify is $1F9C0 + 4X + 2. You need to read that in, then OR it with the maximum value (63 or $3F) and store it back to VRAM. The OR will prevent you from modifying the L/R channel bits in the same byte.

My program MakeWave is an example of using assembly, and acts as a tool to discover how the different parameters in the PSG work:

Edited by SlithyMatt

My program MakeWave is an example of using assembly, and acts as a tool to discover how the different parameters in the PSG work:

I cant seem to locate any address references in your ASM file that correspond to the ones i am using. Am I doing something totally different with a different "sound generator"?

4 minutes ago, K4TFJ said:

I cant seem to locate any address references in your ASM file that correspond to the ones i am using. Am I doing something totally different with a different "sound generator"?

The PSG registers aren't exposed to the CPU. They must be accessed through the VERA's ports.

Are the channel names zero indexed? (start with 0)

VPOKE 1,$F9C0,255    // low frequency byte?
VPOKE 1,$F9C1,5        // high frequency byte?
VPOKE 1,$F9C2,255   // L-R-Volume

VPOKE 1,$F9C3,%10000000   // Waveform and pulse width?

So with my example above: this must be channel 0, with frequency set to $05ff (will have to look at the calcs and see what that is)

The 1,$F9C2,255 being this:
255 = 1111 1111, so 11xx xxxx means Left and Right are turned on?
and xx11 1111 means the Volume is maxed?

Am I getting there?

Edited by K4TFJ

That's correct. The frequency value is calculated by multiplying the integer value by (48828.125 / (2^17))  so $05FF is equivalent to 571.832 Hz.