EMwhite

Pet Laptop project, just some fun

It will be a 'one-off' but once done, I'll be happy to share the FPE and design details;

In short, it's a MiniPet repackaged in a braked aluminum and sheet metal enclosure with an external 12" monitor (repurposed from a '82 Northstar Advantage; see below), optional external Petskey Keyboard, 10" LCD screen from China, internal SD, and a few surprises.

Will not be battery powered (currently running off an 8 lb. linear differential power supply : )

Though depicted as a rounded corner traditional laptop (see FPD mock-up below), I plan on honoring the circa late 70's office furniture/vintage Pet look; call it, Tesla Cybertruck meets Atari Battlezone styling (said another way, I have a garage full of sheet metal brake, punch, shear tooling so outside of a wood enclosure, this is my only option - be prepared for something that looks more like a piece of aircraft than a computer)

The good news is that I procured the monitor (below) and the LCD panel and controller for next to nothing (about $60 each) from eBay/Amazon.  The bad news is that you get what you pay for and it looks about as good as what LCD technology offered in 1979-1982.

Will post pics and info to this thread as I make progress.

PastedGraphic-2.png

IMG_2052.HEIC IMG_2284.HEIC

Edited by EMwhite
  • Like 4

Some pics of prototype cardboard form with mock panel applied.

Call it "The shape of things to come..." if anybody here remembers the old TR-7 campaign.

The wedge shape is not just style, it's necessary in order to sandwich multiple PCBs (one for power handling, one for inversion of the component video, one for LCD driver)

Centered on the front edge will be an external keyboard DB25 port which, when fitted with an adapter will reduce down to a 9 pin joystick mapped to specific Pet keys.  At least that's the plan.  Still trying to work out whether I"ll get my hands on TFW8bit's 'deluxe' kbd (just released) or stick with the dreadful buttons that 8bitguy''s build showed (this is standard on the Minipet).

In other news, I received a Cherry switch set from Mouser and all of the surface mount parts for the shift lock circuit.  That will be 'together' by next week with any luck; if I don't have luck, I'll build using through-hole on breadboard and wire into the pads on the back of the Petskey.  Eyes, age, experience (three excuses) I can solder through-hole all day long, surface mount hasn't been for me but I'll give it a go.

More later...

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

Edited by EMwhite
Fixed images
  • Like 6

Thanks for that feedback, I don't even know what an HEIC file is (converted to .jpg and reposted)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EMwhite said:

Thanks for that feedback, I don't even know what an HEIC file is (converted to .jpg and reposted)

It's a new "standard" that is a de facto proprietary format for Apple that has been unwittingly foisted upon their users. But this doesn't need to become a political rant...

Anyway, thanks for reposting! I love the donut boxes as prototype material! The idea of a miniPET laptop tickles me to no end and I can't wait to see the finished product.

• Like 1